Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

What's going on with this tree ?

Noticed this tree filling out twice as fast at the bottom as the top. Found this about 2' up on the trunk. Small bugs went to runnin' when I flaked off the rotten bark.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Bump. I used some Bayer pest control and fertilizer combo until I could find out what I have going on here.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have a dieing trunk... do you have a picture of the crown??? my guess is that it has trouble at ground level...
Old 05-12-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I forget how it happens but that can be caused by too much warmth in winter. Especially if it is only showing up on the sunny side of the tree. If the foliage still looks ok the tree will probably survive.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll take a picture of the whole thing tomorrow. The bottom half of the foliage has came out as it should but the top has stayed smaller and part of the leaves have turned reddish, not a lot though. I removed all the rotten bark today and coated it with a brush on black tree bandage product. Interesting thing though, when I removed the damaged bark I found what looked to be a red colored ant (large) with a black abdomen.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
I forget how it happens but that can be caused by too much warmth in winter. Especially if it is only showing up on the sunny side of the tree. If the foliage still looks ok the tree will probably survive.
That is actually known as "Sun Scald" and happens when the bark is extremely cold and a bright sun reflectes off the snow and warms one part of the bark, which expands and splits becuz of tempd differences...

To the OP:
Did the bark peel off all the way around the tree???
Old 05-13-2013, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Member

No, only what's shown in the picture. we didn't have any snow really this year.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those pix were not taken this Spring so the snow fall or the kind of winter we had this past winter would be irrelevant... that is, unless your corn is ready to pick now...

Another common occurance with maple bark is that with a lot of water the bark can crack and the microbes make a home and live off the moisture flowing through the cambium... who knows what the microbe is,but getting rid of the bark and allowing the healthy bark to grow over it for the future is a good idea...

You did check to see that the rot was not caused by the buried crown ,,, correct???
Old 05-13-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
That is actually known as "Sun Scald" and happens when the bark is extremely cold and a bright sun reflectes off the snow and warms one part of the bark, which expands and splits becuz of tempd differences...
Actually what you just described is known as frost cracking.

@User Name Taken

What's up with the tie, and don't you think it might be more than coincidental that this is occurring around the tie?

Last edited by Kiril; 05-13-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Another common occurance with maple bark is that with a lot of water the bark can crack and the microbes make a home and live off the moisture flowing through the cambium... who knows what the microbe is,but getting rid of the bark and allowing the healthy bark to grow over it for the future is a good idea...
Come on man. For your benefit, and everyone else's.

http://www-plb.ucdavis.edu/labs/rost.../secstem3.html

Quote:
You did check to see that the rot was not caused by the buried crown ,,, correct???
That area is nowhere near the crown.