Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2011, 04:31 PM

Need tree advise asap !

Hi guys. I own a small tree service so I am some what knowledgeable on trees as its over 20 years I've been at it. My question is : I have several trees between myself and my NOT SO NICE next door neighbour. He wants to remove the trees so he can put a straight fence with no openings. The town has sent me an order to have them taken down. The trees do not need to come down but he is a control freak ! After we bought our home,several months later we find out that the two previous owners had sold as they could not handle living next to him and his wife. So back to the trees there is two large common willows and two Manitoba maples which were pruned back by some one about 10 years ago. Him and I have had issues about the trees which I told him they were way past their maintenance schedule and we agreed his tree guy would prune them as he has a bucket truck and I don't( Don't want one ). I told him that I would do all the clean-up as I have a chipper,blowers and power brooms that way we both share the cost and he was fine with this. Then for some strange reason told me he's not pruning the trees and I'm not to touch the F'n trees either. That was two years ago and now he's at it again !! So I got this registered letter form town stating they have to come down. I talked to the town guy which I explained to him that they DON'T need to come down but rather headed back which he didn't realize. Yes I know heading back trees does shorten there life span but once its been done you need to continue to do this once in a while as the structural integrity is compromised once they start to get alot of larger growth pulling on where they have crowned out.So I have taken picture which I will post to get some opinions from some other tree guys. The tough thing is that my bonehead neighbour is good friends with the town property standards guy. I will get the chance to appeal this tree order in front of town council. The trees give us some privacy from them and great shade in the summer which I surely would miss !
Thanks guys for any advise on how to deal with this and what you'se think of the trees. Okay I can't for some reason get the pictures to up load it tells me upload error.

Troy.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 AM

Picture uploads

Hi Troy:

Please email the pictures to me and I will send them to the guys that manage the site and ask them to upload. You can email them to me at awright@treeservicesmagazine.com

Thanks for using the site!
Amie
Old 12-20-2011, 11:41 AM

or you can just email them to me to check them out - mike@mooserivermedia.com

I am thinking the images may be too large...if they are then they will not load to the site
Old 02-19-2012, 12:05 PM

Well my appeal is coming up this week to try and save my trees.I have e-mailed Amie and also Mike to see if they could assist me in posting the pictures which sure is nice of them. If any of you tree guys would like to make a comment PLEASE do so as I need ammo to fight this B.S. order.None of the local tree services around here( Only 3 others) will help out as my neighbour owns a big tire shop and also supplies them with oils and such so they don't want to cause bad blood between him or the town as they are a corrupt bunch of morons. So I'm on my own which would be great to have words of knowledge from neutral people.

Thank-You !!!!!
Troy.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 AM

Need Tree Advise Asap

Hi Troy:

I have uploaded 5 of the photos which is the max for one post.

Amie
Old 02-22-2012, 08:51 PM

Well we had our appeal in front of town council and they never heard a single word I said !!!!! I'm not a rich S.O.B. like my neighbour. They sided with him !!! BUT I was granted another appeal so I am going with a good amount of ammo this time. I am going to bring an arm load of testimonies of how well pollarding will work. I will bring photos and a few limbs from the trees that they say are DEAD. They drove by and took a quick look. Of course they're going to look dead its the winter with no leaves. So does any one want to type there opinion on this please.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:13 AM

There is a very huge difference between pollarding and topping. Those trees have been topped, plain and simple. Pollarding works well... When you start out. The idea of it is to make cuts on a branch that can compartmentalize itself before decay sets in (normally no larger than 2"). This creates what is called a "head", a continuous formation of callus wood each year, thus protecting the tree from decay. Unfortunately when you start this process after topping, and in this case, with over mature trees, they don't have the vitality to compartmentalize properly. Also a hazard condition has already been created by the topping. This creates poorly attached suckers that are allowed to grow to a size that exceeds their capacity to hold on to the tree. Then couple the possibility of decay in the main stem at the connection points and you're asking for trouble. Now add in the species, and now you have a ticking time bomb, as willow and maples don't compartmentalize well.
So that's the tree health side, now for the liability side;
You are a tree guy, you know about trees, you may read some you may not. Everyone knows (if they don't they should) topping is bad. Those trees were strait up hacked (not your fault). But none the less you are left holding the "bag". Your neighbor/town has informed you of a concern they have with the trees. If you don't act with due diligence in regards to those trees you may be left holding more than just the "bag", if something goes wrong. Is it safe to assume that your pictures are taken from your property? If that's the case that's not a good thing for the trees, cause they lean for you neighbors house/property, compounding the risks you are taking.
Just my opinion... There is too much going wrong there with those trees to save... But I'm not there and I know how attached you may be to them. I would pull the plug and replant a more suitable species for the location.
Sorry, but that is what I would recommend to any of my customers.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:15 AM

Bucket truck question

Not for sure if im doing this right so here we go! I have a few questions about a bucket truck is any one available to answer? Can someone tell me if im even doing this right?
Old 09-13-2012, 11:46 AM

Go ahead and ask
Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 AM

Hi bamos25, you're posting just fine. Welcome to the site.