Register free!

Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 AM

Home owner question about silver maple roots on top of soil

Hi I have two silver maples that have about a 16" trunk diameter and maybe 25 feet tall. There are roots on top of the soil ranging from 2" to 4" in diameter sticking out of the soil. they give me some problems mowing the grass. The trees provide some shade so i do not want to kill them or get ride of them. Are there any accepted practices that I could cut the rrot sections out that are above soil ? Such as a certian distance from the tree trunk ? All suggestions are appreciated !!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:31 PM

Cutting the roots may solve one problem but will open up another... Decay in the root system. Silver maple is notorious for shallow root systems, and they dont compartmentalize well when damaged. This could create bigger problems underground.

My suggestion would be mulch. The roots arent the problem, its the mowing find a way to keep the mower from under the tree. If this isnt an option then you might add VERY LITTLE top soil to level the area enough to mow. And by VERY LITTLE I mean less just to fill the gaps between the high roots. The roots should still be exposed. (this is not ideal but its better than chewing up the roots with the mower).
Old 05-10-2012, 06:39 PM

Thank you for the comments I will procede with your advice , did not think it would be a good idea now I know for sure it is not.