Register free!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:34 PM

Watering suggestions

Hi all! I have a few quick questions on watering new trees. I have planted several new trees at our place. I have planted Thuja green giants Kousa dogwoods and several crabapple trees. I have a sprinkler with the drip lines around the trees . I currently have the drip lines go off an hour every 2 days. Its been a hot and humid summer in CT, just wondering if my watering time is enough or not enough? I have read deep waterings less frequent is better for newer trees, rather than every other day or so? Thoughts....Thanks for any help!

Sorry if I posted in wrong area?
Old 07-25-2012, 01:01 PM

I think you are pretty close with what you are doing. There are a couple "rules of thumb". Some say 5 gallons of water per inch in caliper per week. You can figure your flow from the hose and see it you are hitting the mark.
Another is 1" of water per week. Thats easy with a sprinkler and a coffee can. Flow water till you have an inch.
One thing to remember too much water can be as detrimental to tree health as too little. Too much will drown the tree, too little can put the tree into a semi dormant state until water is available. The balancing act it getting it just right.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:40 PM

watering new transplants

irrigation needs to be at the edge of the root ball.

one good soaking

physically test the moisture level in the surrounding soil

drainage? don't drown the root, sand, clay, organic mater.

how much available water does the soil hold?

Evapotranspiration rates

were the plants stressed before you got them?

were they dug and aboe ground for weeks, months? watered daily leaching out all nitrogen??
Old 03-20-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree one good soaking but to be honest we do another good soaking about 5-7 days later if we have not got any rain. Of course the drainage has to be pretty good. If you drown the roots you could have some problems. Also where is the tree / plant located. In shady areas you really have to be careful you do not create problems compared to the sunny spots which allow the tree to help the roots soak up the water a little bit until they develop in the ground better