Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-10-2012, 11:26 AM

Urban logs to finished flooring

I'm trying to get the ball rolling on the sawmill forum. I rely on salvaged logs for my sawmill, and am constantly amazed by the possibilities. I recently made a trip to Ontario and met Jonathan Arnold, who is co-owner of Shady Lane Tree Service. He's had a Norwood portable sawmill for a couple of years, now and has milled the flooring, counter top, and fireplace mantle for his new home from logs salvaged from his jobs. He also sells lumber from the mill, often to the clients who hired him to remove the tree. Just thouht I'd show you some of the possibilities....

A few logs and boards around the mill yard

Wide oak board cut on the sawmill... a table top, maybe?

Custom oak flooring cut on the sawmill. Jon had the boards kiln dried, planed, and tongue & grooved.

Solid walnut counter top. Try finding one of these at the local home improvement store!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:41 PM

thanks for sharing this Dave...that floor and countertop look beautiful :)
Old 08-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Wow. That's a great way to put salvaged wood to use. Awesome pictures. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:12 PM

Amie, Mike,

So are we three the only ones who use this forum?!?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:34 PM

not at all, we just added this forum so more will follow suit and start to post and respond to the discussions
Old 08-20-2012, 03:19 PM

Hi Dave, it does take some time to get a new forum up and going strong. Thank you for your patience and for participating.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:07 PM

Im looking at the pictures and posts. Wish I could have a counter top like that. I wish I could have a mill like that. Unfortunatley most of my scraps go to the mulch pile. Some day some day. Nice work saving and reusing. Mills are always scared of stuff I bring because they know where it comes from. Good work.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:12 AM

Flying Squirrel, I know what you mean. I'm always wishing for more toys, too. If you put the word out, you might find someone willing to saw for you, though small independent sawyers like me aren't always easy to find. As far as being scared of stuff in urban trees, you mean things like this?

I found this 3/8" anchor bolt in a walnut tree. Five minutes for a blade changes and $32 for a new blade and I'm back in business. One slab of that walnut more than paid for the blade! Hope you get the chance to play with a sawmill. I bet you'd love it. There's nothing like opening up a new log and seeing the beauty inside it for the first time!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:03 PM

WOW... Bet that made some noise.

There are a couple people around that do milling with the portable mills. I just dont have the space to store lots of wood. I will someday though.
I have worked around saw mills when I was younger, very little around a woodmizer but quite a bit around an old circle saw mill. That was fun. I always loved working on hardwood, because the pine and hemlock was so soft the sawyer could bury me at the edger. He had a trick on a large log where he wanted 8" boards he would saw down the middle almost all the way, bring it back, role the log and start dumping 2 boards off at a time. But it was fun none the less.