Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2012, 03:52 AM

MS441 Magnum to MS660?

I currently have an MS 441 Magnum w/ 25" bar, but have been contemplating stepping up to an MS 660? We have lots of big timber on 120 acres and I do some tree work as well. I've heard nothing but good things about the 660s. Any thoughts?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:39 AM

The 660 is one of the betterr saws Stihl makes. ouch that hurt saying that... Im a husky guy.
I run a 660 at work at times. I tend to grab the husky 385 more but the 660 is good.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Unless your getting into huge trees I dont see a need for a 660. IMO. Now if you just want a bigger saw then go for it, but seems like if the tree is that big just make double cuts. The 660 is a beast for sure but it is heavy and I think a 440/441 will get most jobs done. keep a sharp chain and go to work.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

we have two 460magnums that we use very often. I think they have a good power to weight ratio. I just recently did a muffler mod to one of them and it does make a difference. From what I've been reading on arboristsite.com is that a properly modded 460 runs like a stock 660.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm about 210lb and 5''10 I have a 660 magnum and it's pretty dual purpose but it wasnt always that way. I was always using my ms 260 pro when one day it died or i lost the bar or something.. I slapped a 20 or 22 inch bar on my 660 mag and a brand new blade. First thing I did to that brand new blade was take my flat file and grind 2 or 3 swipes from my cutting height on the blade.

At first that thing was a bear and I was getting fatigued in no time but after 8 or 10 days I got so strong I could wield that 600 mag like it was the 260. It takes some getting used to but it will cut through logs as fast as a hot saw.

It was a bit of a pain switching back and fourth to 46 inch bar for the big stuff but well worth it (Atlanta, GA) city of trees. We have some big trees.

When I fixed my 260 pro and used it it was WAY too slow for me and I mostly do limbing with it then i pull out the butter knife.
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.