Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2012, 04:17 PM

Stihl MS 280 CBQ

What I'm wondering is....I have a used Stihl MS280 CBQ that is a few years old that is in mint condition. I have used it quite a bit, but have cleaned it after almost every use and looks brand new. (no sense in letting your equipment get trashed, when you take care of it it runs longer and has better resale value) I have two bar sizes for it a 16 with a couple chains and a 20" with a couple chains. The 16 is perfect for it, the 20 works it pretty good if your in hard wood, but overall it does pretty good. This saw has the toolless chain tensioner and safety blade break that will stop the chain in under 1 sec for safety. It is a 55cc saw that cranks out 3.6bhp and weighs about 12 lbs. If i remember correctly I paid a hair over $500 for the saw...I think like $525 or so. I really like the saw, and of course there is nothing wrong with the saw, but I'm wanting to get an MS 261 if possible. What could I reasonably expect to get for this saw selling it privately? $275-$300ish?
Old 10-20-2012, 07:40 AM

I am not familiar with this saw, but in the condition you should be able to get that out of it. I think I would even start off a little higher, maybe 350 or 375. Even 400 possibly. Its going to be a hard sell either way because its a used saw in that price range where any home owner can go to Home Depo or lowes and buy a brand new one for the same money or less(mind you much different quality saws). It will take someone that knows what they are buying and has done the research.
A couple years back I sold a Jonsered 670 super that was better than 20 years old. The saw brand new in its day was probably 500-600. It was still a great saw, and I got 200 for it. Probably could have pushed 3 but it was a buddy of mine.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:28 AM

Those Jonsereds are pretty tough saws. My husband has one that he bought used 28 years ago. Had some issues with it for the first time last fall $250 for whatever the problem was and it's like brand new. Can't find too many things that last that long.