Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2013, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Talk to me about standers

This is most likely a dead horse, but I'll beat it again anyway. I just left my dealer and was asking him about the Wrights. Standers are becoming more popular around here every year. He was saying that he has sold many already this season. My interest has been sparked for some time as I have never seen one being used, let alone operate one myself.

I'm very much old school when it comes to mowers and sit downs are all I have ever used. I run two 48" walkers and will always have the need for them. The springs around here are just two nasty to not bag the grass. My goal is to purchase a piece of equipment that will increase my productivity when the time comes. I would like to get away from bagging during the rest of the season. The majority of my accounts are residential and I can see how a stander would be profitable. I'm just concerned with how they cut and will they hold up. I have no reason to doubt them, but like I said before they are just unknown to me. This is not a vs thread, but I would like to discuss the different models and the positives and negatives of them. Please stay mature so we can keep this thing open lol.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Scag V Ride 61" and it's an awesome machine in the proper conditions. Example: wide open areas with very few, if any trees. Rough terrain it's also fantastic because your legs are absorbing the shock rather than your butt and spine. Great field of view. The downside(s): absolutely, positively sucks on slopes and is not very efficient around trees and obstacles.

My V Ride cuts great and it's built like a tank. Any of the commercial standers are built well and will last as long as any ZTR, IMO.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&L Landscaping View Post
I have a Scag V Ride 61" and it's an awesome machine in the proper conditions. Example: wide open areas with very few, if any trees. Rough terrain it's also fantastic because your legs are absorbing the shock rather than your butt and spine. Great field of view. The downside(s): absolutely, positively sucks on slopes and is not very efficient around trees and obstacles.

My V Ride cuts great and it's built like a tank. Any of the commercial standers are built well and will last as long as any ZTR, IMO.
That's another concern that I forgot to mention, hillside stability. I don't have that many slopes that I would be using the machine on, but you never know what you will pick up.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I run a 2013 stander x 52, 2009 fixed deck ( 52 and 48), And 2009 fixed deck 36s. The 52 and 48 fixed decks are great trusty mowers that only downfall is being very slow compared to the x, being fixed decks, and they are horrible cutting in the rain. Even when bagging they leave chits of grass when turning. The 36 doesn't seem to have the same problem cutting in the rain. I thought the x was the greatest thing since sliced bread when we first got it but after running it for a couple months I'm not so impressed. Its very comfortable, nimble, fast, and I have yet to come across a hill that I couldn't cut with a little know how on what it can and can't do. I will say I will never buy anything with an aero core deck ever again. It packs with grass like no ones business when cutting wet grass and any lawn that is not thick and healthy requires a cross cut to avoid stragglers unless you sharpen the blades after every frickin lawn. We run 48 inch ghs's to bag also, these are purely discharge machines. Imo I would look into the vride. You can never go wrong with the velocity deck.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uponone605 View Post
I run a 2013 stander x 52, 2009 fixed deck ( 52 and 48), And 2009 fixed deck 36s. The 52 and 48 fixed decks are great trusty mowers that only downfall is being very slow compared to the x, being fixed decks, and they are horrible cutting in the rain. Even when bagging they leave chits of grass when turning. The 36 doesn't seem to have the same problem cutting in the rain. I thought the x was the greatest thing since sliced bread when we first got it but after running it for a couple months I'm not so impressed. Its very comfortable, nimble, fast, and I have yet to come across a hill that I couldn't cut with a little know how on what it can and can't do. I will say I will never buy anything with an aero core deck ever again. It packs with grass like no ones business when cutting wet grass and any lawn that is not thick and healthy requires a cross cut to avoid stragglers unless you sharpen the blades after every frickin lawn. We run 48 inch ghs's to bag also, these are purely discharge machines. Imo I would look into the vride. You can never go wrong with the velocity deck.
That answers a big question of mine about the wright. The dealer I spoke with really talked up the aero core deck. Having never seen one in action of course I had no reason to doubt him. Obviously he was trying to make the sale and that's great, but I want a machine that will cut well. I spoke with another user on here who used to run grandstands and he said they cut well. He also mentioned that the V Ride seemed to not be balanced well and it really acted weird at the end of each stripe.

Basically I went in there looking for an alternative to my walkers. I have been wanting either an MB or an MBS for some time so I thought I would give the standers a chance. After speaking with the user I feel like the walkers are a superior machine for what I need it to do. With demos not an option for the standers, I will have a tough decision.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I've demoed an MBS a few times and it is by far a much superior machine. The only thing a stander has over it is trailer space and maybe getting in a few more tighter places. The super bee is actually much faster then the x to. In a perfect world I would only run super bees and ghs's. Stay with walker IMO. And I just want to clarify that I have no experience what so ever with a vride just the velocity deck.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I've demoed an MBS a few times and it is by far a much superior machine. The only thing a stander has over it is trailer space and maybe getting in a few more tighter places. The super bee is actually much faster then the x to. In a perfect world I would only run super bees and ghs's. Stay with walker IMO. And I just want to clarify that I have no experience what so ever with a vride just the velocity deck.
Thank you for the honesty sir, it's nice to have unbiased opinions from people. You don't find that much around here. There are a few that give honest reports, but they are a minority for sure.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was in your position a few months ago. I had been running walkers (42 and 5w ghs). Its has gotten so spendy to get rid of clippings that I wanted to look at other option. I demo'd a Vantage and was sold! I just sold the walker last week and have been running Vantage for a week. I have increased productivity, saved 2 hrs Monday and 1.5 today. Clippings are just about gone, added mulch kit. Cut is awesome and Im super happy. I must say....i have been really soar the last week. Not used to standing all day!

Go with a stander and keep a walker for spring growth and fall leaves! I have been so happy and would recommend for everyone.

Good luck....
Old 07-16-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleC View Post
I was in your position a few months ago. I had been running walkers (42 and 5w ghs). Its has gotten so spendy to get rid of clippings that I wanted to look at other option. I demo'd a Vantage and was sold! I just sold the walker last week and have been running Vantage for a week. I have increased productivity, saved 2 hrs Monday and 1.5 today. Clippings are just about gone, added mulch kit. Cut is awesome and Im super happy. I must say....i have been really soar the last week. Not used to standing all day!

Go with a stander and keep a walker for spring growth and fall leaves! I have been so happy and would recommend for everyone.

Good luck....
I will keep that in mind, I don't have exmark readily available to me. I can pick up a gravely, wright, or toro. I'm already pretty set on not getting the wright. The other two do look to be good machines.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Quote:
Thank you for the honesty sir, it's nice to have unbiased opinions from people. You don't find that much around here. There are a few that give honest reports, but they are a minority for sure.
Your welcome. I wish I had talked to someone before going with the aero core deck. I only run 16 ft trailers and didn't really have enough room to fit 36, the superbee, and a back up stander so I went with the x. I really wish I just would have bought a bigger trailer.