Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mower shipped today should have it Tuesday or Wensday giving 10,500 for it. Is that a decent price for a 3100 61" 32 Vanguard.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It would be a very good deal here. They were $500 more than that last year here when I checked on them.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
Mower shipped today should have it Tuesday or Wensday giving 10,500 for it. Is that a decent price for a 3100 61" 32 Vanguard.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's about the going price in my area, the Ferris patented suspension seems to bring a little more money. I bought a Hustler Super Z with a 72" deck, the HyperDrive (by far the best on the market, 5 yr., 3000 hr full parts and labor warranty) hydraulic system, and a 35 hp Kawasaki for $10,600, and that was with the $250 flex forks installed.

The Ferris 3100 I used for a while is the same size as my older model Super Z setting in front of the my Super Z, so you can tell from the picture there is a lot more machine for the money with the 72" Super Z. I have run both the Ferris 3100 and the bigger Super Z on the same property, and even with the Super Z being by far a great deal faster, the ride due to its longer wheel base and flex forks is just as good as the 3100. The only place I would give the advantage in ride to the 3100 is where you have a washboard area; where the low and high places are only a few feet apart. The four wheel independent suspension has an advantage in this situation, I'm just lucky to only have about 1/3 of an acre where I must deal with this.

You can look at these photos and see there is more machine in the 72" Super Z, for the fact the 3100 is the size of the smaller Super Z in front.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have demoed a hustler and didn't like the clumps from there decks. And if you stop to fast with flex forks the deck will dip and scalp..... I'm ferris through and through got a great hustler dealer like the guy a lot but you want get me off a ferris....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I have demoed a hustler and didn't like the clumps from there decks. And if you stop to fast with flex forks the deck will dip and scalp..... I'm ferris through and through got a great hustler dealer like the guy a lot but you want get me off a ferris....
Posted via Mobile Device
I love Ferris mowers, they are just not fast enough for me on the large, open, flat acreage I cut. I mow southern stiff blade grasses that is normally very dry (always an exception), and I mow at full speed (which is very fast on a Super Z) a great deal of the time, and I have never seen a clumping problem. The reason for this is probably because I keep everything highly maintained on a 5 to 6 day mowing schedule, never deal with an excessive amount of grass being cut off at any one time.

I can make the older short model dip if pulling up at high speed and stop real fast, but the larger mower with the longer wheel base does not give this problem. I honestly believe they made the flex forks somewhat stiffer on this larger model because of being so much heavier, but I believe the longer wheel base distributing the weight more evenly is the biggest help in stopping the front end dip.

I have cut with both, and you could not tell if it was the Ferris or Hustler that made the last pass, but you can definitely tell after an hours cutting that the Super Z had cut 20% more grass. I've put them side by side, so this in not something I haven't proven, and actually proved it to a Ferris dealer.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you ran the ICD deck there is no double cutting with it so that means more production...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Have you ran the ICD deck there is no double cutting with it so that means more production...
Posted via Mobile Device
I've not run the ICD deck on my property but have on another property. The grass we cut in my area that is not irrigated cuts very easily. There are a very few (hardly any) Ferris mowers run commercially in my area, what you mostly see is Hustler, Bobcat, Scag, and Exmark, and I would not necessarily say in that order.

I very seldom ever go back over the same area twice, and never double cut anything. The only thing I may find the need to do is if the grass has gotten really big due to excessive rain, I may need to raise the deck and run over an area at top speed to scatter clippings, and that would only be for a small number of passes.

Believe me when I tell you from experience, a Hustler Super Z is at least 20% more productive than a Ferris mower in areas where speed can be utilized. Now, taking speed out of the equation, if you are on a washboard type terrain where you really need to slow down, I would give the edge to the Ferris with its four wheel independent suspension.

The Ferris has a ride second to none, a cut equal to the best, and a wonderful engine selection. The Hustler has better hydraulics, and is a much smoother operating machine, there is honestly no mower manufactured in today's market that handles and operates anywhere close to a Hustler Super Z. If I mowed smaller properties that are extremely rough, the 3100 has always been my choice, I really like the mower due to the fact of being easy on the body.

Mowers are just a tool, with some brands better suited for certain mowing applications than others, this is due to people in different areas over the country having different needs and desires.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got my new mower today. The Vanguard is a lot quiter and smoother than my kawasaki. Only mowed two yards today and one of them was overgrown and it seemed to have plenty of power. I adjusted the stops on the levers and its now running 13 mph GPS. I didn't take the stops completely off of this one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2013, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Got my new mower today. The Vanguard is a lot quiter and smoother than my kawasaki. Only mowed two yards today and one of them was overgrown and it seemed to have plenty of power. I adjusted the stops on the levers and its now running 13 mph GPS. I didn't take the stops completely off of this one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Great to hear, I did not believe you would have need for additional power. If you ever get a chance and have a known measured distance, I would love for you to get a timed run on the known distance so I could check your GPS speed. It could be no more than running in the street across two 100' lots and timing the run.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Will the GPH usage get better as the engine breaks in, I haven't realy checked it but it seems to be using a good bit of fuel.
Posted via Mobile Device