Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-19-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jllawncare1128 View Post
Just got 12 new yearly contracts on some high end properties, what size and kind of mower do you recommend? Prefer zero turn but maybe a stander all yards are less than 1 acre.
It sounds like a lot of my properties I do. A stander works well for me. The Toro Grandstand 36" great maneuverability for gates and small areas, fast for less than an acre.
Blowers:Stihl BR 600 BR 600 BR 200 Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 Stihl FS 90
Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole Saw: Stihl HT 75 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45
Old 03-19-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark are tanks! I have had several Walkers and they are slow and a maintenance nightmare, quality of cut is awesome though. If you are a patient operator get a Walker and your client will be happy. Exmark with Trac Vac will give a great finished product as well and you will make more money.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
I second this!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
I third this! a Walker is hard to beat on high end heavily landscaped properties. They leave a gorgeous manicured cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2013, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are doing some smaller high end properties, DO NOT use a Z. Customers will frown on that. Get yourself a Turf Tracer or similar to do those lawns, you and your customer will be happy.

For the large properties, can't beat the cut of a Z900 series Deere. How about the Z925 with EFI with MOD option?
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-20-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had Scag, exmark,deere, bunton ,Gravely ,toro and walkers.i have a gravely 260z and Love the gravely for big places and would buy another but the Walker is in a whole different category for smaller manicured residentials 1/2 acre or less .When you cut with a walker you keep the accounts , I cut 4 lawns in one neighborhood for 8 yrs. where a large contractor lives who uses scag and exmark ztr's . as soon as I bought 2 walkers one year i picked up 16 more lawns down around his street except him and now he's been stopping and asking me about the walkers when he sees me and i tell him yeah they're ok Lol . It wouldnt shock me if he switched to walkers for residential , but he does a lot of big fields 5 to 6 acres where ztr;s shine and walkers are much pricier. Do a search and ck out chestnut oaks walker pics .
Old 03-20-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not trying to get into the dreaded walker/navigator debate but I run navigators and couldn't agree more with Johnny USA on this type of mower. They can't be beat on a small residential lawn. They are anazing
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Lots of Walkers in my area but then there is the clipping disposal drill and the nutrients are pulled from lawn. Granted it is often faster to bag and cut once than double cut and mulch and side discharge like I do with WB mowers.

Not try to sway this but in one of the recent threads an Exmark 30 TurfMaster said he liked this mower better [faster] than his Walker....?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

after mowing a few of them today i think the toro/exmark 30 may be the ticket.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jllawncare1128 View Post
after mowing a few of them today i think the toro/exmark 30 may be the ticket.

Take my word on it, if your looking for a good quality cut, the 30" Commercial will give you just that. The 30" Turf Master was one of my FIRST machines and I got MANY, MANY compliments on the cut itself when using that mower. I can't speak for walker, but I know a push mower cut may not be the fastest, but it's hard to beat the right push mower in quality of cuts. Easy to make your patterns and keep your lines straight. If you keep the blades sharp on that 30" you'll be happy. I have a 30", I'm actually thinking of down sizing it to a Toro Heavy Duty for those high quality lawns that demand the "Perfect" cut. I can cut faster with a bigger mower, but I believe I can lay a better cut with a smaller mower.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

there are many options for walker, you do not HAVE to bag with them, even the GHS model.