Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Keep looking for a job and get your self out of that. Best to be w2 unless he was paying a ton more. Taxes are a lot less stressful.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok in reality the way taxes work your paying around 5 percent more than if you were w2 but you can write off all your meals (if you talk business wink, wink), clothing, gas or car milage, phone bill, tools, office equipment and so on. Personally my insurance covers my sub contractors. Unless you making more than 15 grand a year your paying less taxes if you have any write offs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I was way off. Its 13.3 percent. Just add those deductions up and it won't be bad.

Last edited by JCLawn and more; 03-19-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschultznorth View Post
.....any other stuff I need as a 1099 "employee", vendor, whatever you want to call it.
It is not a matter of what "you" or any other LS member wishes to call it. The IRS has very clear guidelines on who is an employee, and who is a contractor.

As a contractor, you must have all your own tools, set your own schedule, and work independently. If you are taking any instructions on how to do the work, using equipment/tools from somebody else, and getting instructions from another, then you must be working as employee.

Asking about "how much am I loosing" is the wrong question. Either you work as an employee or a contractor, as per IRS guidelines, not what somebody here thinks.

From what you have said here, it sounds like you are an employee and this relationship is subject to scrutiny and penalties (which are severe). Either insist you work as an employee, or find another place of employment.

This is an age-old question, but the answer is always the same. The subject has been discussed over and over on LS.

There are many, many threads decrying other LCOs who don't play by the rules. Yet, I read many posts in this thread giving suggestions to the OP on how to circumvent the rules. Do we want competitors who play by the rules, or those who choose to circumvent the rules?

Last edited by Roger; 03-19-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 1099 Sub working for me He told me what he turns in is less then half what I pay him. He shows he only makes $6.00 per hour and rest for Insurance Tools equipment His tax guy set him up doing this way.
He told first time being 1099 sub. He turned it all in and he had to pay a lot in at end of the year
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I have a 1099 Sub working for me He told me what he turns in is less then half what I pay him. He shows he only makes $6.00 per hour and rest for Insurance Tools equipment His tax guy set him up doing this way.
He told first time being 1099 sub. He turned it all in and he had to pay a lot in at end of the year
Oh, wow! Actually, double wow!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Their is a lot of gray area here and its not all black and white like everyone thinks. Here is what the IRS says....

Independent Contractor Defined
People such as doctors, dentists, veterinarians, lawyers, accountants, contractors, subcontractors, public stenographers, or auctioneers who are in an independent trade, business, or profession in which they offer their services to the general public are generally independent contractors. However, whether these people are independent contractors or employees depends on the facts in each case. The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if the payer has the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not what will be done and how it will be done. The earnings of a person who is working as an independent contractor are subject to Self-Employment Tax

So does this mean the one of my customers who tells me directly what to do in each step when I work for him is actually my employer and my employee who does his job with no direction is a sub contractor? According to the common rule it is.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

[QUOTE=Roger;4713507]
As a contractor, you must have all your own tools, set your own schedule, and work independently. If you are taking any instructions on how to do the work, using equipment/tools from somebody else, and getting instructions from another, then you must be working as employee.
[ QUOTE]

I want to get this straight
If I give him instructions how do something. He not a sub but a employee

I knowabout equipment/ tools rules

I been a Sub Contactor many times for seeding jobs and they always gave me instructions how they want stuff done and they set the schedule when they want me there to seed
So from what you say I was a Employee not a Sub Contactor

Last edited by Snyder's Lawn Inc; 03-19-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Snyder's Lawn Inc;4713559]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
[ QUOTE]

I want to get this straight
If I give him instructions how do something. He not a sub but a employee That's just dumbest thing I ever heard. Post the link from IRS that shows that

I knowabout equipment/ tools rules

I been a Sub Contactor many times for seeding jobs and they always gave me instructions how they want stuff done and they set the schedule when they want me there to seed
So from what you say I was a Employee not a Sub Contactor
(http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Independent-Contractor-Defined) here ya go. This why 1099's are such a gray area and the irs never enforces it to much. I worked in a tax office and my boss would of let me work as 1099 employee if I wanted to he said, even though their is no such thing and they get audited all the time by the irs and never had a hiccup.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone have an estimate of the difference I'll pay in taxes at $11/hr as a 1099 (without any deductions) vs w2?
Posted via Mobile Device