Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i went to this one dump over here that charged $35.00 per trailer load, didn't even matter if you had 2 sticks on that trailer.. lol. then they grind it and re-sell it as mulch. so they win twice! i'm in the wrong business.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just got back from one of the local waste facilities. The one I went to today apparently charges by the pound/ton. Current rate on the receipt shows $61/ton. For what I had (8 bags of leaves plus one can full of grass) came out to $12.32. Saved $8 compared to going to my usual spot.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

The government run facilities here charge $50 per truck with price increases for sideboards over the cab and trailers. Luckily I have an uncle who lets me dump on his property which is 11 miles from where I live. A large creek runs through there so I usually go early in the morning and do a little fishing too.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my firepit
Old 04-01-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Larger loads of horticulture debris I take to the county waste processing facility. $35 a ton with $5 minimum. Just dropped off 1000 pounds of Brazilian Pepper, cost me $10.34. On my normal service route the shrub trimmings I bring home for the cows unless it's something like Oleanders that are toxic to the cattle.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

GRASS AND LEAVES ARE WORM FOOD. Once it sits for a while...
Old 04-02-2013, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ideally, you'll leave your lawn clipping in place, cut fine enough with a mulching mower (not a side discharge) that they do not lay grass down and break down in a few days. That will extend your fertilization apps, bulk your soil organics, conserve water and protect your plant roots. In other words, better grass, less labor to collect and no disposal fees.

For larger waster, many municipalities have begun green waste programs to extend the lives of their landfills as well as private operations like mulch and gravel sellers, tree companies etc. I have a couple of options here in my city, they run as low as $8 for a trailer load. (16x8 w/ 4 foot sides) and of course, they sell mulch when you need to reverse the process.

For those of you looking for a cow or horse solution, be aware that turf treated with weed controls will probably cause you some problems with the farmer and you may not like the vet bills that follow.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I worked a deal with the owner of a local gravel pit. I buy all my materials from them. They basically let me dump for nothing.