Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-21-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I've switched the coils around to see if the coil pack was the issue. It was an issue but even replacing the bad coil with a new one hasn't cured my ills. I'm still only running on one cylinder no matter which coil I put where. My left (driver's side) cylinder is still not firing. I have spark now but with the engine at full throttle I can pull the left spark plug wire off and nothing changes at all. The rods look fine. The valves look decent but I need to check the seating to be sure.

the original spark plug on that side was covered in carbon deposits but I've replaced both plugs for good measure.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I've switched the coils around several times and it makes no difference. One coil was bad but I've replaced it so I'm sparking on both cylinders now but I'm still only running on one cylinder. The left (driver's side) cylinder is dead. I've checked compression on both and all is well. I've replaced both plugs. The original left side plug was covered in carbon deposits but now its got a brand new one. The rods look fine and the valves look good too but I still need to check to make sure they're adjusted properly. I'm stumped though. All of my carburetor gaskets appear to be fine too. I'm running out of ideas.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You could unhook the hose at the carburetor end and see if fuel comes flowing through.

I know it probably won't fix things but it's one more step to take.
Or just for kicks, replace fuel lines and fuel filter.
Eliminates the possibility of a fuel transport clog.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Good info Fish...
Just wondering...if you installed a diode between the coils...like Briggs did on the old Vanguard twins...
Would that work around the problem..?? Or does the diode failure weaken the coil.??
I haven't tried that.....might could work, if the coil is OK otherwise.

......AMF!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowerMinister View Post
The rods look fine and the valves look good too but I still need to check to make sure they're adjusted properly.

You can't be stumped until you go down the list of possibilities and eliminate each.....

Stick a screwdriver in the spark plug hole touching the piston to verify your at top dead center compression stroke, This will also show you if a rod broke causing zero compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowerMinister View Post
All of my carburetor gaskets appear to be fine too
I mentioned spraying carb cleaner around the intake manifold where it bolts to the cylinder head while running, A carb gasket issue would effect both cylinders......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Fish...next time I come across a Kaw coil with a bad diode...I will try adding a diode in the kill wire..

RestroRob....you can spoonfeed the info to most of them...but....for some of them....
Anything short of a Vulcan Mindmeld won't help..
Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a "casting" plug come out of the carburator of my 16hp kawasaki, it did all kind of crazy stuff like your describing.

Probably not the "book" fix, but i took a split lead fishing weight and filed it to size and tapped in hold and put a little jbweld on top of it.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Anything short of a Vulcan Mindmeld won't help....

Funny you mention, I was sit'n here earlier wish'n I could be washed ashore next to a bottle like Captain/Major Anthony "Tony" Nelson......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Funny you mention, I was sit'n here earlier wish'n I could be washed ashore next to a bottle like Captain/Major Anthony "Tony" Nelson......
Not sure about the getting washed ashore part...though I'm sure it'd prolly be better than not being washed ashore...
I think I saw one of those bottles on Ebay...though as Dutch says..results may vary..