Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2013, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody ever homebuilt their own mower?

Either for fun or for production use?

There's so many different things I like about different mowers, yet some ideas I've never seen utilized in mowers, I always wanted to fab up my own mower.
Start with just taking parts of different mower you like and make them work. Then maybe go from scratch one day.

I would love a stander type mower but the front portion of the frame and deck flexes like a walker deck. Make the decks interchangeable with the same tractor, etc.

Have thought of a mower that without the deck will still stand upright like a Segway... You just back off of one deck and up to another deck or any attachment you want. Maybe a sprayer/spreader attachment? Snow blower?

What parts would you take off what mowers to make your own?

I need to learn to weld... MErica.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wish I had the ability to do something like that. Id love to go from a 60" stand on mower in the summer, and then instead of putting it away for the winter just switch it over to a 48" snowblower, and everything is driven off the same pulley system. It would take TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars to even get a roller rig going, and I wont be the one to do that. Ill be the one waiting at the door of the dealership with a check.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 03-20-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just need an Exmark TT frame with a velocity deck, easy enough.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_mott85 View Post
Either for fun or for production use?

There's so many different things I like about different mowers, yet some ideas I've never seen utilized in mowers, I always wanted to fab up my own mower.
Start with just taking parts of different mower you like and make them work. Then maybe go from scratch one day.

I would love a stander type mower but the front portion of the frame and deck flexes like a walker deck. Make the decks interchangeable with the same tractor, etc.

Have thought of a mower that without the deck will still stand upright like a Segway... You just back off of one deck and up to another deck or any attachment you want. Maybe a sprayer/spreader attachment? Snow blower?

What parts would you take off what mowers to make your own?

I need to learn to weld... MErica.
Just do it, don't talk about. My list is long for items that would be useful in the business. You start throwing ideas out into space and some one else is going to say, why didn't I think of that. The stand up market looks quit open for advancement in several areas. All it takes is time and money. Look at Ted's Brakes on the front wheels, or 4 wheel drive on Dixie Chopper. I have been working on a rake project now for 3 years, lots of hours, lot of dollars invested. Hope to use this spring. Its handy if you can weld but not nessary. There are a lot of older welders out there that have lost thier shop jobs and are starting thier own back yard weld shops.

Last edited by gene gls; 03-20-2013 at 08:04 PM. Reason: after thought