Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Centipedegrass App Calendar

Does anybody have a good centipedegrass maintenance calendar? I just picked up a lawn, but I haven't dealt with centipede before. After researching it, I realize it doesn't go fully dormant and it can be tricky to treat. I haven't seen the yard yet, but the client says the weeds aren't bad yet, just wants to stay on top of it. I'm looking for specific herbicides that are known to work. I live in eastern/central NC. Average daytime temps are about 60 now. Thanks for any help,

Andy
Old 03-13-2013, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I plan on using Speedzone Southern for the spring app, any comments or suggestions?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

That's what I use on centipede for the post emerge. Don't forget to add in a pre-emergent.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

What's a good pre-emergence? I use prodiamine on bermuda, but have read that some do not like it on centipede. Is now a good time, or should I wait for a little warmer weather?
Old 03-13-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eich09 View Post
What's a good pre-emergence? I use prodiamine on bermuda, but have read that some do not like it on centipede. Is now a good time, or should I wait for a little warmer weather?
Mr. Oak: (Eich auf Deutsch)
"Gallery" is the pre-em of choice for centipede. It's soluble and works great. I just finished an application this weekend on centipede.
I could send you a centipede calendar if you like. Greendoctor is genius of warm seasoned grasses.
Roy
Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm interested in this as well since we have some properties with centipede. People will tell you it's "low maintenance" which it is to a point, but the problem comes when you start trying to battle weeds in it. We're about 10 miles west of Rocky Mount.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been using it on my centipede stuff since 09 and they haven't had any bad effects from it. I'll actually start spraying prodiamine tomorrow so I would get it down ASAP.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Roy
"Mr. Oak: (Eich auf Deutsch)"

Very astute, but I've always thought it was fruit of the oak, which would be of course the acorn. But you may not know, I might be barking up the wrong...well you get it.

Sophomoric humor aside, a calendar would be great, and I'll check out Gallery. Thanks all for the input.

Andy

Last edited by eich09; 03-13-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eich09 View Post
Roy
"Mr. Oak: (Eich auf Deutsch)"

Very astute, but I've always thought it was fruit of the oak, which would be of course the acorn. But you may not know, I might be barking up the wrong...well you get it.

Sophomoric humor aside, a calendar would be great, and I'll check out Gallery. Thanks all for the input.

Andy
Pretty sure that you've got to have at least 25 post before I can PM you with a schedule. So far, you should evaluate the lawn with soil test for micros, pH(important to have an acidic soil) and fertilizer need. Do not use a potassium derived from Muriate of Potash as it has chlorine which will slowly poison centipede. Put down pre-em now and wait until three weeks after green up for your first fertilization. That will get you started until you get your post. I'm very familiar with the Raleigh, Greensboro to New Bern area. Have friends in Cary, New Bern, Garner.
Remember that centipede is not a very green grass and closely resembles a granny smith apple in color. So don't expect it to be like other grasses. It loves heat and sun.
Roy
Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Roy,
Going to take a soil sample tomorrow, but the county takes about 6-8 weeks for results. I checked out Gallery online, but it seemed pricey. Like $170/acre pricey, I might look for another type or just use prodiamine. I've heard others like AuburnHort2005 say they use it with no ill effects.

My email is eich09@yahoo.com if you want to email the calendar. Thanks again, and if you are ever up in Garner, let me know and I can thank you properly

Andy