Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2014, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Should I Split?

OK so I've been partnered with this guy for 3 years now. Im a freshman in college and he's a junior in high school. He has a better work ethic then most his age. Still I'm always on his but about random things whether it be getting every yard done that day or having to make him work when we're behind. What got me the most was recently when he said he did not want anymore yards. I know he is in high school but I've tried explaining to him that we are hiring people to compensate for the extra work so we can expand. It's as if he doesn't understand. All of it basically makes me question his motivation especially considering he doesn't know the feeling of an actual job with a boss over you. It may sound silly but he has become one of my best friends and we would not having gotten near this much business without his mom. So I feel obligated to stay.
If I were to split/buy the business how should I? Has this happened to you and how would you deal with it?
Sorry for the novel. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2014, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Everyone always moves on. Ask yourselves do you see yourself doing this for the next 50 years?
In the meantime learn to enjoy the job. And do the best possible quality. Learn the ins and outs of all your services. Dont worry about his mom and the business she has brought. Thats a plus but if the work quality is there the work will come. Attitude is a big factor. If this is how he feels now itll only get worse. That will show to your clients
Old 05-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Sponsor

hmm interesting situation. I would sit down with him and all important parties about next steps and the future of the company. It is all about compromise with a partner, find a middle ground about where you both see the company going.

When I stepped out of daily ops with mine I brought it to the crew leaders about splitting things with them and the new direction they had in mind. Like Crusty said, attitude is a big factor and animosity will only hurt everyone, including the business.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC