Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-26-2008, 01:34 PM
MLI's Avatar
MLI MLI is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Ma
Posts: 453
Workers Comp....

I'm already Inc. and have had up to 6 people working in the past. Now I know that workers comp is required by law, but is it required if your solo & Inc.?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-26-2008, 04:17 PM
mowing grass 1111 mowing grass 1111 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: one step ahead of the law
Posts: 433
in VA its not required inill you have a certain number of workers.. i am solo with a part time help and carry workers comp because of my commercial account
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-27-2008, 01:56 AM
ncls ncls is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 421
In Ohio, workers comp is calculated by payroll. An owner can exempt himself from workers comp, though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-27-2008, 12:42 PM
LB1234 LB1234 is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 3,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncls View Post
In Ohio, workers comp is calculated by payroll. An owner can exempt himself from workers comp, though.
same here in jersey
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-28-2008, 12:15 PM
scott's turf scott's turf is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NH
Posts: 949
If you are in a state and you don't need it until you have X number of employees I am assuming an employee can sue you for medical expenses for any injury occured at the workplace right?
__________________
Home Turf Lawn Care
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-28-2008, 01:49 PM
bohiaa's Avatar
bohiaa bohiaa is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bellville Texas, near Houston
Posts: 5,017
I think the KEY WORD HERE IS, not required by law......

like a lot of things it's a gamble, YES if you have someone working for you and they get hurt it's your nickle....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-09-2014, 08:19 PM
pdreibels pdreibels is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 165
Here's a PA workers comp question.... If a business doesn't have WC for a time and they apply for new coverage, will they be required to pay the premiums/percentages for the time period they were uninsured?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-11-2014, 08:34 AM
mag360's Avatar
mag360 mag360 is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southeast Pa
Posts: 2,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdreibels View Post
Here's a PA workers comp question.... If a business doesn't have WC for a time and they apply for new coverage, will they be required to pay the premiums/percentages for the time period they were uninsured?
Posted via Mobile Device
The fine is $2500 per day in pa for lack of wc coverage for employees
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-11-2014, 08:54 AM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLI View Post
I'm already Inc. and have had up to 6 people working in the past. Now I know that workers comp is required by law, but is it required if your solo & Inc.?
No but there is certain contacts requires it no matter if you have 20 people or just your self

I wish more contacts would require it even for solo guys but some don't

I run it I only have 3 full timers this year with 2 part timers for Friday and Saturday

To get the good paying contacts I need WComp
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-11-2014, 08:56 AM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
No but there is certain contacts requires it no matter if you have 20 people or just your self

I wish more contacts would require it even for solo guys but some don't

I run it I only have 3 full timers this year with 2 part timers for Friday and Saturday

To get the good paying contacts I need WComp
Why? Why do you want people to require it even for solo?

If you're solo and your state doesn't require it. You do not have to have it. All you have to do is submit letter saying you do not need it
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 AM.

Page generated in 0.09930 seconds with 9 queries