Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-20-2013, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Member

marketing results

I taped 1,200 professional flyers to high end neighborhood mail posts and got 3 calls within the last 3 weeks this is really abnormal where in my other location(5 hrs away) i get 1.5% call back from potential clients. What do you guys suggest? passing out another round to same house or trying a different method? eddm>>? do you guys think that using a little piece of masking tape to tape them to the paperbox looks cheap and they arent calling because of that?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No I think it is an OK idea. But make sure you have a really top-notch brochure. It takes a lot of time and effort to do that. Don't waste your effort. You should make sure you have the best brochure in town. A coupon or special offer is a good idea. Perhaps include a gardening calender so they would save your information and phone number. Perhaps glue some flower seeds to each brochure. Perhaps enclose the brochure in a plastic bag with a gladiola bulb or flower seeds. Perhaps include a coupon for two dollars off your next pizza or next haircut or next lawn mower blade sharpening. Get a local business to give you the coupons for free, of course.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually 3 calls is pretty good, if you were able to pice up 3 accounts thats even better. It took me 5 years to build the current route I now have.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scroll down a couple of inches and look at R n D signs. Excellent brochures...AND...they are another of our fine sponsors.
http://www.rndsigns.com/door-hangers.html
Old 03-20-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

i have some top notch flyers i attached and usually i get 1.5% call back and have only got 5 calls as of today i did pick up another full service account from flyers 3 weeks ago! i am going to hit them all again as soon as it clears back up! i will scan my flyer assoon as i canand let you guys see it!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Sponsor

If you haven't already, check out A'Deas Printing. www.adeasprinting.com/door-hangers We have a few specials going on for our door hangers and have innovative ways for distribution to help keep your piece in view and off the lawns.. I noticed someone mention taping the door hangers.. we have our stick-it style door hangers that have a double sided adhesive on the back that can be stuck on any glass, metal, or plastic surface and is re positionable, so once its taken off, it can be re-stuck to say the refrigerator or file cabinet.. Like someone mentioned coupons, if you have a coupon on it and they keep it on the fridge they can refer back to your flyer just as easy If you have any questions or need more info feel free to give us a call, we'd be happy to answer any questions! 1-866-778-4254 or email stickit@adeasprinting.com
Good luck on this season!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The effectiveness might have to do with the saturation of your delivery style. You not only have to account for other LCOs adding to the "noise", but every pizza place, maid service, window washer, carpet cleaner, etc. etc. etc. making people numb to even looking at paper hanging. If it's an upscale area, count on it being a continual onslaught on these homes and you'll need something different to stand out.

Printed coupons and such will rely on the piece being looked at in the first place, so a better bet might be the suggestion of items attached that add weight and width to the piece, like seed packets, or small bulbs, that prompt a "what's this" response and give you a chance to have it read. That's when you can drive action with things like limited time coupons, etc.

You've got to cut through the noise, if that's what's happening, if you want opportunity. Test drive it with a small run with a "gift" attached to your flyer of 50-100 and see if your response percentages hold. A little more expensive piece that has a far higher return is much better than 1000s of less costly pieces that go straight to the garbage.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenUtah View Post
The effectiveness might have to do with the saturation of your delivery style. You not only have to account for other LCOs adding to the "noise", but every pizza place, maid service, window washer, carpet cleaner, etc. etc. etc. making people numb to even looking at paper hanging. If it's an upscale area, count on it being a continual onslaught on these homes and you'll need something different to stand out.

Printed coupons and such will rely on the piece being looked at in the first place, so a better bet might be the suggestion of items attached that add weight and width to the piece, like seed packets, or small bulbs, that prompt a "what's this" response and give you a chance to have it read. That's when you can drive action with things like limited time coupons, etc.

You've got to cut through the noise, if that's what's happening, if you want opportunity. Test drive it with a small run with a "gift" attached to your flyer of 50-100 and see if your response percentages hold. A little more expensive piece that has a far higher return is much better than 1000s of less costly pieces that go straight to the garbage.
Exactly this people are absolutely hammered with coupons, crap in their driveway, bundles of direct mail, cold call advertising everyday, spam advertising email. It gets old.

I just dont want advertise in the ways that would really piss me off. I literally grab my mail and walk to a dumpster to throw away all the junk. I try to filter my email bc these bastards wont leave me alone and it all goes to my smart phone. Cold calls just get hung up on immediately, but now they are getting smarter and acting like clients so it wastes even more of my time.

I have basically decided the old stuff does not work. Direct mail sucks, tv sucks, radio sucks, flyers suck, yellow page are too damn expensive to get a return.

I am going to spend 75k on advertising in new ways this year, i will let yall know how it goes....not!!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

there are alot of that going on here. As you said maid services washing windows etc. anyone have any suggestion on what else i could do? I was thinking about maybe putting the flyer in a ziplock style bag and maybe a couple of bulbs(flowers) in it? toss near the mailbox?
Old 03-23-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

any ideas?