Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why Scag's V-Ride scares me.

Looks like a great machine at a fair price. Lots of posts on here about them. Last year I bought one 61 in for $7000. I was happy until my guys flat out did not like it. I fought them to give it a try but after 2 months and 40hrs I sold it at a big loss. My freind bought the same machine last year now wants to sell his 50hrs. I see these VRides for sale all over with 25, 19, 30,100hrs etc etc for sale. Why I'm wondering. I wasn't crazy about the handling especially on hills but it wasn't that bad. Guys seem to prefer a WB with a sulky.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" and I like. Then again, it is the first stander I've had.

What I don't understand is why the operator platform is so damn high. If they lowered it down, and dropped the controls with it, it would "feel" much more stable. Maybe your guys prefer the lower to the ground feeling of a sulky. I don't see how they could prefer the pistol grips over the v-ride controls.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 03-22-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I myself thought the controls were a bit too low. Not sure if I'm buying 2 v rides or 2 vantages
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Come to think of it, they seem low to me too and I am only 5'8". Maybe if they just dropped the platform down. The problem with the controls is that they are near waist level and you feel like you have no forward stability with that much of your body above them. I can live with it though. The decks and cut are amazing. Gettin' a Turf Tiger next week. Can't wait.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 03-22-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just started running mine this week and like it. There is a learning curve like anything but it will not replace a Walkbehind completely.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
I have a 52" and I like. Then again, it is the first stander I've had.

What I don't understand is why the operator platform is so damn high. If they lowered it down, and dropped the controls with it, it would "feel" much more stable. Maybe your guys prefer the lower to the ground feeling of a sulky. I don't see how they could prefer the pistol grips over the v-ride controls.
I agree on lowering the platform. Thing is, the controls are to low as well. If you lowered both platform and controls, it will still have the controls lower then they should be. I checked one out. I'm 6'2" and I in no way could use one. I was leaning over worse then ever. I like my Scag mower but skip the stander AND that ridiculous Pro-V junk. The TT and other models are nice and I stand behind the cut with a Scag V-Plus deck.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well I'm 6ft and had a 6'3" guy on it also. Never thought they were low when using it. Having at that height allows it to go under low branches. The platform height could be slightly lower but I'm guessing it is a clearance issue on hills and unloading off the trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't like mine at first due to hillside traction. It takes some practice but in time it will come. My favorite mower now and would love to have a 61in fuel injected when Scag makes one. I've bottomed out the platform on mine going in and out of ditches that are steep. So it's not too low for my taste.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Member

if you have ran a walkbehind/sulky for twenty years the switch to a stander is not going to come in a weeks worth of hours, i will cut circles around a walkbehind/ sulky with my stander, with that said i have one account that i almost flipped my walkbehind 3 diff times last season, Super STEEP, on that one a stander is not the best choice, if you want a mower to cut 100% of everything get a walkbehind, if you want something to cut 95% of everything super fast get a stand on ( that 1/4 to 3/4 acre is where standers shine imo)
Old 03-23-2013, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnK View Post
if you have ran a walkbehind/sulky for twenty years the switch to a stander is not going to come in a weeks worth of hours, i will cut circles around a walkbehind/ sulky with my stander, with that said i have one account that i almost flipped my walkbehind 3 diff times last season, Super STEEP, on that one a stander is not the best choice, if you want a mower to cut 100% of everything get a walkbehind, if you want something to cut 95% of everything super fast get a stand on ( that 1/4 to 3/4 acre is where standers shine imo)
Well said!!
Posted via Mobile Device