Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess I'm puzzled because Standers are not new to me. We've had Surfers Super Surfers, Standers. John Deere's version etc. They have never disliked a stander like this.The platform really seemed too high and the controls are too low.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnK View Post
if you have ran a walkbehind/sulky for twenty years the switch to a stander is not going to come in a weeks worth of hours, i will cut circles around a walkbehind/ sulky with my stander, with that said i have one account that i almost flipped my walkbehind 3 diff times last season, Super STEEP, on that one a stander is not the best choice, if you want a mower to cut 100% of everything get a walkbehind, if you want something to cut 95% of everything super fast get a stand on ( that 1/4 to 3/4 acre is where standers shine imo)
How do you flip a walk behind? If you can keep the front going straight, it will cut anything. Until the motor starves for oil.

I just don't know.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
How do you flip a walk behind? If you can keep the front going straight, it will cut anything. Until the motor starves for oil.

I just don't know.
Drive it off a retaining wall? Idk
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

^ 36s are easy to flip

We flipped a turf tracer last year
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess what is comfortable for some is not for others. My guys like our turf tracers, but I much prefer my V-ride 48. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the new v-ride 36. I love these machines and am super comfortable on them. We don't have any steep hills on our properties though so maybe that's the difference.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Well I'm 6ft and had a 6'3" guy on it also. Never thought they were low when using it. Having at that height allows it to go under low branches. The platform height could be slightly lower but I'm guessing it is a clearance issue on hills and unloading off the trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good point about unloading off a trailer. Never thought about that or ditches. I always have one of my guys mow out the ditches with our 36" wb.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 03-23-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never been in danger of flipping any mower.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I have short gates on my trailer and never had a problem with loading or unloading as far as at dorm height. But I used my 36" last year and mowed some very steep terrain and was very proud of the way it handled you just can't panick on the way down lol. I loved my 36" so much I bought a 52" as well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

That being said I got a cheap 36" walk behind last season for bagging and it felt safer on those hills a little but both got the job done as looked great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the 52" vride a few weeks ago and like it a lot. I'm the only person I know of in my neck of the woods using one. In fact, not many standers around period. The dealer I chose for service has never sold a vride ( I drove almost to Georgia to by mine used 140 hours on the clock). It ok some getting used to but it cuts great, is comfortable and I can get into way more places than my 48" Lazer could. However, I do miss the foot deck lift assist for feathering over dips and roots etc in lawns. I prefer the standers now. Of course, my exmark Viking 36 is a beast and handles any steep ditches or smaller lawns too. My only question with the 52 vride is scalping. Does he 52 scalp more than a 48? And yes, I'm quite sure I know how to mow. The deck doesn't seem to 'float" as much as it should and does some digging in uneven spots if I'm not super careful. If it keeps up and he 48 is better with this, I may get a 48.