Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We don't have any standers where I'm at either. Customers sometimes want to look at it and ask questions cause they've never seen them. 1 account we have is simply because of the V-Ride. We sometimes use a residential JD and the customer asked if we could mow her yard with "the big orange mower."

We don't have any issues with our 52 v-ride scalping but we don't use it to mow ditches or really uneven terrain either. That's why I bought a 36 wb with sulky. I haven't found anything yet it can't mow and do a good job on. I think a small wb is a must for any business. They are just so versatile, esp when you add a sulky.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 03-23-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I've had a lot of customers and other people stop to ask about the "orange thing". Said they like it a lot and that it makes mowing the yard look fun. I just h e to remind them it's still hot and they don't want to do it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just remind them it is $7000 worth of fun and they won't have a problem with keeping you mowing their lawn. Your average person has no idea how expensive these things are. Hell, I thought I was big time when I bought my first residential JD for my own lawn

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 03-23-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea I've told them how much it cost and said you will have to use it for over 6 years to break even with this purchase and they usually oh wow ill keep watching.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnK View Post
if you have ran a walkbehind/sulky for twenty years the switch to a stander is not going to come in a weeks worth of hours, i will cut circles around a walkbehind/ sulky with my stander, with that said i have one account that i almost flipped my walkbehind 3 diff times last season, Super STEEP, on that one a stander is not the best choice, if you want a mower to cut 100% of everything get a walkbehind, if you want something to cut 95% of everything super fast get a stand on ( that 1/4 to 3/4 acre is where standers shine imo)
On flat ground you can "cut a circle" around a walkbehind, though on flat ground a rider will cut a circle around your stander. These standers WILL NOT cut anymore of a slope than a rider. So you will always need a walkbehind in areas with slopes. They might be the newest thing, but they are really not that versatile or useful of a machine.

If you have alot of flat ground and a tight budget then they may work just fine for you.

A 40" TORO grandstand correctly set up by a dealer is slower than an Exmark metro on flat pavement. Food for thought.

A 36" Exmark Vantage is faster than a 48" Turf Tracer w/sulky but not appreciatively so.

On Bermuda turf, the bigger tires on a Vantage either cause turn damage or result in a slower turn than a TT.

I have run these machines through my own testing procedures and this is what I have found.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRRITECH View Post
On flat ground you can "cut a circle" around a walkbehind, though on flat ground a rider will cut a circle around your stander. These standers WILL NOT cut anymore of a slope than a rider. So you will always need a walkbehind in areas with slopes. They might be the newest thing, but they are really not that versatile or useful of a machine.

If you have alot of flat ground and a tight budget then they may work just fine for you.

A 40" TORO grandstand correctly set up by a dealer is slower than an Exmark metro on flat pavement. Food for thought.

A 36" Exmark Vantage is faster than a 48" Turf Tracer w/sulky but not appreciatively so.

On Bermuda turf, the bigger tires on a Vantage either cause turn damage or result in a slower turn than a TT.

I have run these machines through my own testing procedures and this is what I have found.
I had almost decided to go to ALL walk behinds ( exmark turf tracer and Viking) but got a great deal on my vride. I will not go back to sit down ztrs. They are ridiculously heavy and overkill in most situations. It's really more of a " hey look at me, I have a zero turn" kinda thing with many yard guys.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTenterprises View Post
I had almost decided to go to ALL walk behinds ( exmark turf tracer and Viking) but got a great deal on my vride. I will not go back to sit down ztrs. They are ridiculously heavy and overkill in most situations. It's really more of a " hey look at me, I have a zero turn" kinda thing with many yard guys.
Have to agree with you on that one. If you have good flat ground and got a deal on the stander, good for you. I actually like the vantage on open level ground.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can see keeping a WB at all times and making the decision between a stander and Z.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-23-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I can see keeping a WB at all times and making the decision between a stander and Z.
For me the combination is a 52" Vride and a 36" Turf Tracer. Very versatile and fast for residentials.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTenterprises View Post
I have several single home, 7-12 acres properties to mow on a weekly basis. I mow them with 60" riders and believe me, it's not to have someone "look at me". And don't try to tell me that a stander would do just as well.