Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Blade Runners's Avatar
Blade Runners Blade Runners is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Woodlawn, TN
Posts: 913
We don't have any standers where I'm at either. Customers sometimes want to look at it and ask questions cause they've never seen them. 1 account we have is simply because of the V-Ride. We sometimes use a residential JD and the customer asked if we could mow her yard with "the big orange mower."

We don't have any issues with our 52 v-ride scalping but we don't use it to mow ditches or really uneven terrain either. That's why I bought a 36 wb with sulky. I haven't found anything yet it can't mow and do a good job on. I think a small wb is a must for any business. They are just so versatile, esp when you add a sulky.
__________________

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Rvldesign Rvldesign is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Little Rock, Ar
Posts: 189
I've had a lot of customers and other people stop to ask about the "orange thing". Said they like it a lot and that it makes mowing the yard look fun. I just h e to remind them it's still hot and they don't want to do it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Blade Runners's Avatar
Blade Runners Blade Runners is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Woodlawn, TN
Posts: 913
Just remind them it is $7000 worth of fun and they won't have a problem with keeping you mowing their lawn. Your average person has no idea how expensive these things are. Hell, I thought I was big time when I bought my first residential JD for my own lawn
__________________

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Rvldesign Rvldesign is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Little Rock, Ar
Posts: 189
Yea I've told them how much it cost and said you will have to use it for over 6 years to break even with this purchase and they usually oh wow ill keep watching.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-23-2013, 08:13 PM
IRRITECH's Avatar
IRRITECH IRRITECH is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: ATLANTA, GA
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnK View Post
if you have ran a walkbehind/sulky for twenty years the switch to a stander is not going to come in a weeks worth of hours, i will cut circles around a walkbehind/ sulky with my stander, with that said i have one account that i almost flipped my walkbehind 3 diff times last season, Super STEEP, on that one a stander is not the best choice, if you want a mower to cut 100% of everything get a walkbehind, if you want something to cut 95% of everything super fast get a stand on ( that 1/4 to 3/4 acre is where standers shine imo)
On flat ground you can "cut a circle" around a walkbehind, though on flat ground a rider will cut a circle around your stander. These standers WILL NOT cut anymore of a slope than a rider. So you will always need a walkbehind in areas with slopes. They might be the newest thing, but they are really not that versatile or useful of a machine.

If you have alot of flat ground and a tight budget then they may work just fine for you.

A 40" TORO grandstand correctly set up by a dealer is slower than an Exmark metro on flat pavement. Food for thought.

A 36" Exmark Vantage is faster than a 48" Turf Tracer w/sulky but not appreciatively so.

On Bermuda turf, the bigger tires on a Vantage either cause turn damage or result in a slower turn than a TT.

I have run these machines through my own testing procedures and this is what I have found.
__________________
The reigning Mayor of Stupidville
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-23-2013, 08:45 PM
MTenterprises MTenterprises is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brandon, MS
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRRITECH View Post
On flat ground you can "cut a circle" around a walkbehind, though on flat ground a rider will cut a circle around your stander. These standers WILL NOT cut anymore of a slope than a rider. So you will always need a walkbehind in areas with slopes. They might be the newest thing, but they are really not that versatile or useful of a machine.

If you have alot of flat ground and a tight budget then they may work just fine for you.

A 40" TORO grandstand correctly set up by a dealer is slower than an Exmark metro on flat pavement. Food for thought.

A 36" Exmark Vantage is faster than a 48" Turf Tracer w/sulky but not appreciatively so.

On Bermuda turf, the bigger tires on a Vantage either cause turn damage or result in a slower turn than a TT.

I have run these machines through my own testing procedures and this is what I have found.
I had almost decided to go to ALL walk behinds ( exmark turf tracer and Viking) but got a great deal on my vride. I will not go back to sit down ztrs. They are ridiculously heavy and overkill in most situations. It's really more of a " hey look at me, I have a zero turn" kinda thing with many yard guys.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-23-2013, 09:14 PM
IRRITECH's Avatar
IRRITECH IRRITECH is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: ATLANTA, GA
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTenterprises View Post
I had almost decided to go to ALL walk behinds ( exmark turf tracer and Viking) but got a great deal on my vride. I will not go back to sit down ztrs. They are ridiculously heavy and overkill in most situations. It's really more of a " hey look at me, I have a zero turn" kinda thing with many yard guys.
Have to agree with you on that one. If you have good flat ground and got a deal on the stander, good for you. I actually like the vantage on open level ground.
__________________
The reigning Mayor of Stupidville
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-23-2013, 10:53 PM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 7,882
I can see keeping a WB at all times and making the decision between a stander and Z.
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-23-2013, 10:58 PM
knox gsl's Avatar
knox gsl knox gsl is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 3,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I can see keeping a WB at all times and making the decision between a stander and Z.
For me the combination is a 52" Vride and a 36" Turf Tracer. Very versatile and fast for residentials.
__________________
I've never been skydiving, but I have zoomed-in on Google Earth really fast.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-24-2013, 08:43 AM
dathorpe dathorpe is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Marshall, Va.
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTenterprises View Post
I had almost decided to go to ALL walk behinds ( exmark turf tracer and Viking) but got a great deal on my vride. I will not go back to sit down ztrs. They are ridiculously heavy and overkill in most situations. It's really more of a " hey look at me, I have a zero turn" kinda thing with many yard guys.
I have several single home, 7-12 acres properties to mow on a weekly basis. I mow them with 60" riders and believe me, it's not to have someone "look at me". And don't try to tell me that a stander would do just as well.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 AM.

Page generated in 0.07945 seconds with 7 queries