Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Finestlandscape Finestlandscape is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Richboro,PA
Posts: 29
Paver Patio Bid

i have a customer who has asked me for a price to install a patio. they have a cement slab already which they put marble tile over a while ago. i would be ripping that up patching the slab if needed. then installing the pavers over top.i no to glue the perimeter boarder and use polymeric sand to secure them my question is what is the going rate for a job like this. its 350sq ft rectangle patio not really hard cuts or anything. i will be using ep Henry pavers i get them for around 2.99 a sq ft . they want a rough estimate I'm right around $3500 total material and labor. me and 2 guys about 2 days. any help would be appreciated thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 PM
neversatisfiedj's Avatar
neversatisfiedj neversatisfiedj is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hampstead,MD
Posts: 987
As long as you make $$ sounds good to me
__________________
Josh

Creative Hardscapes
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-2013, 09:26 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,810
No to "gluing" the pavers around the outer perimeter(s).

Use edge restraint with spikes drilled into the concrete slab.

And it's not a "cement" patio. Cement is an ingredient that concrete is comprised of. It's a "concrete" patio
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-22-2013, 09:49 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 3,047
Why rip up the tile if you're going over the slab anyway?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 AM
neversatisfiedj's Avatar
neversatisfiedj neversatisfiedj is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hampstead,MD
Posts: 987
I have glued the soldier course of pavers and used 3 1/8 inch material. Wrap the border in geo fabric to hold bedding sand and lay field with 2 3/8 inch pavers inside. This is per ICPI standards. I have had no problems.
__________________
Josh

Creative Hardscapes
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-23-2013, 01:16 PM
jbailey52's Avatar
jbailey52 jbailey52 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Horticulture
Posts: 1,052
If we are doing an overlay we always glue the perimeter ( assuming the new paver patio is not larger than the existing slab. Masonry adhesive Is meant for concrete to concrete adhesion is peeped correctly) and we use a textile between the pavers and slab so there is no 'clicking' when walking on the pavers
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Finestlandscape Finestlandscape is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Richboro,PA
Posts: 29
Thans for all comments yea I definatly will be gluing the perimeter DVS way seems like to much work and they wouldn't pay for all that. I will upload some pics as soon as I get started as well as finnished pics. As far as price does that sound about right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-23-2013, 02:37 PM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
No to "gluing" the pavers around the outer perimeter(s).

Use edge restraint with spikes drilled into the concrete slab.

And it's not a "cement" patio. Cement is an ingredient that concrete is comprised of. It's a "concrete" patio
Posted via Mobile Device
What if it's a raised concrete slab? Would the edging be exposed
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-23-2013, 07:34 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finestlandscape View Post
Thans for all comments yea I definatly will be gluing the perimeter DVS way seems like to much work and they wouldn't pay for all that. I will upload some pics as soon as I get started as well as finnished pics. As far as price does that sound about right?
Posted via Mobile Device
To each his own.

But you're missing the point. Completely.

Retainimg wall adhesive is not intended for high traffic use. It has it's limits. Gluing something as the edge perimeter is taking a risk of the lawn mower knocking it lose. It's taking the risk if someone working in the flower bed along the patio and knocking the pavers loose with the rotortiller. Water can get under there and freeze and pop.

In business the objective is to do the job once. Not twice.

If any aspects of HARDscaping are "too much work" then you are destined to not achieve success in this industry.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-23-2013, 07:37 PM
jbailey52's Avatar
jbailey52 jbailey52 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Horticulture
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
To each his own.

But you're missing the point. Completely.

Retainimg wall adhesive is not intended for high traffic use. It has it's limits. Gluing something as the edge perimeter is taking a risk of the lawn mower knocking it lose. It's taking the risk if someone working in the flower bed along the patio and knocking the pavers loose with the rotortiller. Water can get under there and freeze and pop.

In business the objective is to do the job once. Not twice.

If any aspects of HARDscaping are "too much work" then you are destined to not achieve success in this industry.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's silly. Sure you want to do it right.
But really why not core drill down to bed rock, then fill with epoxy? Much stronger than your method, and when the neighbor drives his Sherman tank over it, you won't get a call back. And in all reality since the pavers are sitting on concrete and not locked in by the sand from tamping I bet the pavers have a better chance of being flipped out (although very unlikely) from the edge restraint when walked on before the adhesive will fail.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:42 AM.

Page generated in 0.09075 seconds with 7 queries