Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New installations

Is it common practice to use the smallest size shrubs, plants, bushes for installs? I just think it looks horrible. Here's a massive 3-5,000 sqft home with plants that are about the size of a child's head littered all over the place. I'm not talking perrenials but woody plants. I know it will eventually "grow into" the landscape but is this people just being cheap or businesses ripping people off by saving a buck on tiny plants? Or is this what is "supposed" to be done? I have an install coming up and I'll be using more mature plants. Plus I sold them on yearly maintenance to keep it all nice. I just could not litter this place with tiny plants. I just think stuff like that looks awful.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's not common, but it happens more than you would think.

I would say that I see the mini plants a few times a year on installs around here. It has amateur written all over it in my opinion. I know some guys will try to hit a lower price point but come on. I have had a few customers run me through the design stage early on and when I hit them with the cost they spit their chocolate milk out of their nose. Then they always say well jo-bob said he could do it for 300 bucks with the same plants. Ok. Lets just say now that I pre-qualify leads I don't seem to have customers who have the desire for steak on a burger budget.

-chris
Old 03-24-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not any type of award winning designer (or a designer for that matter) and would never claim to be. I'll go through some websites of local competitors or anyone for that matter and this is what you'll see all the time. Massive mulch beds filled with these mini plants. Some of which will grow together in a couple years and I'm sure that's not the plan. Then the attached testimonial, which could be fake, saying "wow what a wonderful job company xyz did on our landscape. It's so beautiful and makes our house complete". Say what? The tallest plant is maybe 1ft high (minus a crimson maple 3 ft from the corner of the house. That'll be fun in 4 years) and this is a 2 story home with 3rd story roof peaks. You don't need to buy the most mature plants but surely don't buy the $8-$10 special at the nearest big box store.

But this is the landscape business!
Posted via Mobile Device