Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-29-2011, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Used Toro 44 Proline

I have a lawn with a pretty steep hill on it that my tractor was just not cut out for, so I'm looking for a good used walk behind. I found a belt driven 2003 Toro Proline 44 with a 15hp Kohler engine. Supposedly it has only 200 hours on it, which is hard to believe for the age, but it's very clean and runs just fine, so it just might be true. The asking price is $850...what would be a good price to offer for this? I know hydros are the way to go, but this is really just for one lawn. What do you think? Go for it or hold out for something else?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krumbles View Post
I have a lawn with a pretty steep hill on it that my tractor was just not cut out for, so I'm looking for a good used walk behind. I found a belt driven 2003 Toro Proline 44 with a 15hp Kohler engine. Supposedly it has only 200 hours on it, which is hard to believe for the age, but it's very clean and runs just fine, so it just might be true. The asking price is $850...what would be a good price to offer for this? I know hydros are the way to go, but this is really just for one lawn. What do you think? Go for it or hold out for something else?
I'm not crazy about the Kohler engine part, but if it has a SFS deck it is probably worth it. Especially if it has that many hours. Have it checked out before you hand over the cash.

If it is a SFS, throw some lift blades on it and it will be the best striping machine you ever owned!

**PS we don't even run hydro's...
Old 12-29-2011, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The belt is a lot lighter so it maybe better than a hydro for your hilly lawn. I would say $850 is a pretty fair price assuming it's as clean as you say. I would go for pistol grips rather than a t bar if you have hills.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

idealscape - I'm not familiar with the SFS deck. What makes it special? I forgot to mention that it comes with a striping kit, too. So with the lift blades, the stripes should be spectacular!

unownfl - great point about the weight...makes me feel better about going with a belt drive. Do you think the t-bar is a deal breaker for hills? I've heard such good things about it, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Once you get use to a T bar you'll love it. Belt driven pistol grips are a pain in the butt. SFS stands for Super Flow System. It is a deck design that Toro used in those days. Some hated it, some loved it. We had 8 of them at one point and like I said with that deck design and the right blades they stripe very well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2011, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Only down fall to the SFS is thicker grass and it being a stamped style deck. I have used both the t bar has it's place but for hills or anywhere that you need to man handle a mower it's 10x easier with pistol grips. The t bar is great for all day mowing and when you can use the mowers power and traction. Krumbles, I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker. It just depends on how you like it and how bad your hills are. On a smaller mower where your hands are exposed to fences and walls the pistol grips suck and the t bar shines but on bigger mowers it is much easier to handle with pistol grips but it does tax your forearms a bit.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

So I negotiated to $700 delivered, and got some more information. Assuming it runs ok, am I getting a good deal or are there issues with this model/year? Also, I can't tell from the specs on the Toro website if it's an SFS deck or not.

Model Number: 30254
Serial #: 210000001 - 210005000
Model Year: 2001
Product Name: Mid-Size ProLine Gear, 15 hp w/ 44" SD Mower
Product Brand: Toro
Product Type: Walk Behind Mowers
Product Series: Mid-Size ProLine Mower
Swath: 44 inch
Discharge: Side
Engine/Motor Manufacturer: Kohler
Engine/Motor Size#: 15 hp
Transmission Speed: 5 Speed
Transmission Type: Gear
Old 05-06-2015, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Member

cheap to own

I still have one of these from 2001. I love them. Cheap to run. If you have someone good at welding, they are "immortal" -- And engine replacement will run you $1,500 every few years and the trannies are $300 and take an hour to replace (okay maybe two). I don't like the Toro Hydros AT ALL (at least the hand grip ones). They are like 1970's ransolm Bobcat technology...you have one lever to set the speed then the squeeze levers ... Those early 2000 pro lines like you have, you can wake up, turn the key and lean forward and you're mowing ... very user friendly, velke friendly ... not as "hard steel" as some of the heavier ones, but honestly, they haven't made a bettter product since those.
Winslow, Maine
Old 05-06-2015, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krumbles View Post
So I negotiated to $700 delivered, and got some more information. Assuming it runs ok, am I getting a good deal or are there issues with this model/year? Also, I can't tell from the specs on the Toro website if it's an SFS deck or not.

Model Number: 30254
Serial #: 210000001 - 210005000
Model Year: 2001
Product Name: Mid-Size ProLine Gear, 15 hp w/ 44" SD Mower
Product Brand: Toro
Product Type: Walk Behind Mowers
Product Series: Mid-Size ProLine Mower
Swath: 44 inch
Discharge: Side
Engine/Motor Manufacturer: Kohler
Engine/Motor Size#: 15 hp
Transmission Speed: 5 Speed
Transmission Type: Gear
You're getting too good a deal, way too good, did you already pay?
I sure hope you have a way to get that money back if the mower doesn't get delivered.
That or there's something wrong, I can't say but that kind of a machine in that kind of condition should have gone for 12 to 1400 or even more. For $850 there should have been no negotiating, the fact they offered to deliver it does set off the alarm bells, normally when I buy a mower it's cash in one hand and lawn mower in the other.

Also you said in your first post that it's a 2003, that data up there states it's a 2001...
I suppose it is possible the previous owner simply didn't think it was worth much since it's 14 years old.
Yes, it is possible if it looks pretty decent that it only has 200 hours on it.
Especially if it's a homeowner used one, if such is the case it most likely hasn't had the maintenance done that it requires every 8 hours...
You'll need to buy a grease gun, and some cartridges for it, and grease up all the zerks for starters.

Unfortunately it might not be the blessing you were hoping for on that hill if you've never operated a walk-behind before, there's a learning curve to it, one that has 500 pounds of steel that doesn't play with you and tons of power behind it. Assuming you stole that mower for the bargain you supposedly got and it runs like it should, I would recommend taking it real nice and slow and practice on flat terrain first, also don't fight it when it gets away from you but let it go because they're built solid as a tank and it will hurt you.

Now lets hope all goes well, that you get your mower and the hill isn't too steep for it.

Last edited by herler; 05-06-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I have one and for that low of hours and at that price. Buy it. Of course as long as it is in good shape, as in not wrecked by some idiot.