Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-24-2014, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

leaf removal

I'm pretty new in the business (this will be my first fall). I'm wondering if any of you guys could offer some advice on leaf removal. I only have a couple of customers that have even expressed interest in fall cleanup. How do you guys do it? I have thought about building walls to box in my utility trailer for hauling them away. Have any of you used baggers on your walkbehinds for removal? I've also thought about using a tarp and blower although being a solo operator, i don't know how well that's going to work out.

Thanks in advance
Don
Old 10-24-2014, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For my existing clients I usually don't haul anything away. I just mulch and maybe double up mowing once the leaves start falling.

For the regular customers who need it and for people who aren't regulars I mow once and then bag it with my mower. Blow the leaves out of the gardens, along fences, etc, then dump it in the bed of my truck. Typically I lay two tarps in the bed and then pile it in. This lets me pull it out easier at the dump.

I have 2ft high boards on my truck. Cant hold much more weight than that once the leaves get wet or really packed in. Tarp over the top to keep it from blowing out.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you use a walkbehind? I'm curious how some of the bagger systems work with them picking up leaves before I invest in one (the ones I've seen are pretty pricey). Also, do you charge those customers extra when you go over the lawn again to bag?
Old 10-24-2014, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I usually use my backpack blower and blow all the leaves into a few rows and then use my Honda walk behind and much the leaves up. If there are any larger bits of leaves, I just go over the areas of the rows with the blower.
Echo PE-200 Edger
Echo HC-152 Hedge Trimmer
Echo PAS-230 with Articulating Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-370 Chainsaw
Husqvarna 130-BT Backpack Blower

Check out my youtube channel for lawn care videos and small engine repair!

https://www.youtube.com/ilike2mow
Old 10-25-2014, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we run 48" exmark walkbehinds with 15hp kaws on mostly 1/4 acre small suburban lots with alot of good sized , 50 year old , silver maple trees . average home has a tree in front and one in back .

and under these conditions my first step is to run over the lawn several times to shred leaves up . i then blow out beds and shred up some more

i then use our 7000 & 8000 redmax blowers to blow into piles which we then tarp out to truck , weve a dump insert on our 3/4 pick ups

finally we put on bagger and give a final cut which vacumes up most of the remaining leaf bits

i then after final cut of season spread pelltized lime to help nuetralize the acidity in soil caused by leaves . im not college educated , thats just from reading gardening books and my experience of liming lawns with substantial broad leaf acticity in fall . liming has always improved them , that said ive never seen a lawn liming didnt help some what so maybe my outlooks wrong
but the liming is cheap to do and has never damaged any of our lawns

leaf clean up tip : in the weeks before your big leaf cleans ups on streets with curbs make sure to blow the leaves in street a foot or two away from curb so that they dont become water soaked after rains , makes for much easier / lighter carrying leaves . i also use mowers on street leaves to shred them up before tarping , just walk thru leaves before hand to check for objects . matter of fact i like blowing alot of leaves on street where appropriate to then shred up with mowers because its easier / quicker to run mowers on concrete then on dirt . then when you get the leaves in street finely powdered they broom into rectangular shaped plastic garbage cans you lay on sides very easily for carrying to truck
Old 10-25-2014, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" z and 36" wb's. My wb just has a side catcher. Doesn't hold too much that's why i mow over first. It does go on and off easy though for switching between discharge and bag.

Never used a trac vac but they seem to work similar to my z's bagger. Holds more and you can keep extra cans handy so you don't have to empty all the time.