Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2014, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Am I the only one who weedwacks before mowing?

Unless it's a crew working simultaneous, I weedwack and then mow so the clippings from the line trimmer get bagged/mulched and the lawn looks cleaner and the clippings composts quicker if mulched over.
If there's a lot of leaves on a patio/driveway etc, I'll also blow them onto the turf before mowing.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yep! same here.
Br600
89 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4
5x10 Trailer
Old 09-05-2014, 03:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Your doing it totally wrong. Also, start walking backwards and putting pants on first. Everything else after! Lol
Old 09-05-2014, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its nice to do on bermuda lawns but I try not to do it. If not careful you will have to get the trimmer back out and hit spots you thought you could get with the mower. Also its harde rto match the height of the grass cutting height. Maybe ai just suck. But I feel it takes too much effort and slows things down. If I was doing upscale properties than I would try to do it. I dont bag and am mow (Trim) blow go. Also I think it would be harder to train a crew to do it first. So to sum it up, I dont think it is efficient.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The only time I trim first is if the lawn has overgrown a good little bit. So that the mower chews up the shreds, even though I know where my mower can and can't go (allowing me to trim first without missing anything) but when you mow after you trim if ruins the crisp trimming/edging also. So mow first, unless it's kind of overgrown.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2014, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roody2333 View Post
Unless it's a crew working simultaneous, I weedwack and then mow so the clippings from the line trimmer get bagged/mulched and the lawn looks cleaner and the clippings composts quicker if mulched over.
If there's a lot of leaves on a patio/driveway etc, I'll also blow them onto the turf before mowing.

Mower runs a "trim" pattern first,
goes around the edges of the property outlining everything the mower can get and setting the height to be trimmed (otherwise frequently trim boy makes it too low)
Mower moves on to striping lawn and cutting around obstacles, trimmer boy starts trimming.
Commonly on a typical residential lawn, mow man and trim boy finish around the same time.

Mower runs around the outside of the property again 1) to pick up and recut and loose trimming and 2) to reframe the look of the stripe and cover up his turn marks.

While blowing off the hardscape, blower dude can disperse any clippings that might not have been totally processed.

IF you mow first and trim afterward, the trimmings from the weed whacker shouldn't be any longer than the blades from the mower are producing in the first place.
Everything should be cutting at 1/3 of the total grass blade in the first place.

Most guys who trim first are trimming too low and cutting off too much (and taking longer to actually trim) and this is causing the problem (seeing lots of trimming that need to be processed) in the first place.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Being a one man band, I started off life trimming first and mowing after. Just this year I decided to try something new, and now first. The result... Yards look exactly the same if not better(not trimming too low and making some brown spots) and it's taking less time to mow. Glad I switched over
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2014, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I have help with me that day we're doing it at the same time. If I'm solo I mow first, every time. The exception is if I'm reclaiming a lawn that has overgrown. Then I'll trim first so that the large pieces of grass and weeds get mulched up with the lawn.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I always mow first and trim after, takes too much extra time to trim first and have to go back over or it doesn't match the height of the cut. If need be I'll use the blower or redo a section if it's really bad and I need to clean up after I trim.
Exmark Viking 36"
Echo SRM-230, PAS-266, PB-770T
Old 09-05-2014, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I too did it that way before. As mentioned earlier, various reasons for doing after. I will however blow the leaves first if mulching and bagging. By then though, grass is way slow and little trimming needing done, about every 2-3 weeks apart by then. I've never had one complain either way.