Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-02-2015, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Help Pricing a large property in Fairfield County.

I am not sure how to price this property. The lawn is around 3/4 of an acre but has a lot of beds. I would say 35 minutes of weed whacking along with 50Minutes of mowing. Gated property so I am not able to get my ZTR in the back yard. Have to use a 48" with a bagger. Lots of gardens with boxwoods surrounding them, the pool has at least 50 surrounding it. Along with plantings around the entire foundation front and back yards. She wants the boxwoods trimmed by hand around the pool. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can only say what I'd do, and I'd pass on that. I like to run my mower, and not get bogged down with a pool, bagging, and trimming by hand. I've had jobs like that, and they still give me the creeps. I'm just real selective at this point.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

that seems really easy to price. you have estimated 1.4 hours which seems like a lot for a 3/4 acre property but anyway just take your hourly rate and multiply by 1.4 hours or 1.5 to be safe. not to mention its fairfield county so you can pretty much just name your price

for shrubs just do hourly
Old 04-02-2015, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, tell her you'd rather let someone who wants to work have the job.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I think I'm having more trouble pricing the amount of trimming/pruning of shrubs on the property. Using shears is really time consuming. Just want to make sure I don't give to low of a price for maintaining the rest of the property.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I don't know I typically take an estimate on how much time then give myself a 10% window when I give an estimate. If they want an exact amount I go on the higher end.
Exmark Viking 36"
Echo SRM-230, PAS-266, PB-770T
Old 04-02-2015, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well if you a hand pruning 50+ boxwoods and trimming other plants plus cleanup removal of debris and disposal. its probably a full day job. id tell her $1000-1200 you can upcharge the crap out of hand pruning not to mention you can usually get 25% more in ritzy areas which is the majority of fairfield county. try asking what she has paid in the past to have it done if you are unsure.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

She showed me the hedge row in her front yard and whoever she used before hacked them. All uneven, and she said they weren't very happy with them. I can't imagine what they charged. They are transplants from Manhattan. So owning a property like this is all new to them. It might be more trouble than it's worth. But it could be a good money maker.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a gold mine to me
Old 04-02-2015, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They're ignorant for requesting trimming by hand. You can hack up bushes by hand or with a power trimmer, and you can do a nice job with both. Maybe sell them on how good of a job your trimmers can do by showing them pictures. I still maintain that I wouldn't take that job. One time I went on an estimate, and I knew that I wasn't going to do all of the detailed stuff, so I took a bold step and told her what I thought. I told her how all of the statues, pots, bird cages, decorations, etc around the pool are just leaf traps and how much of a hassle it would be. She kinda frowned at me because she wanted her memories. A few weeks later, she called in some boys to clean up all that crap that I offered to do. I was mad that I didn't get the satisfaction of doing it. Anyway, I now maintain her yard with 75% less obstacles. She listened to me!