Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone looking to Benefit from the Affordable Care Act

I am a solo lawncare operator and have limited health coverage for just my two kids. My wife is a stay at home mother. It has worked out well so far except that my wife and I are without health insurance. We are both in good health so we've taken the chance of not buying a policy as the premiums and deductables are so high as you are aware. Without starting a political discussion or an argument for or against President Obama, I was just wondering if anyone with similar circumstances is looking forward to getting some insurance under the act next year. I've used an online calcuator and it would be fairly priced for my income bracket if they are using the right figures. Just curious if anyone else is in a similar posiition. Thanks.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 03-23-2013, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you simply planning to pay the fee?
Old 03-23-2013, 03:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

no id like to purchase the coverage it provides at the local exchange
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, what are your expected premiums from the exchange vs private company?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First off, your crazy for not having health insurance. Not to bash, but to say, you are healthy so you don't need it is ridiculous. I, myself am very healthy and do exercise some. But 2 years ago, June I had an emergency appendectomy. No warning sign of anything wrong with my appendix. Had an attach on a Saturday evening, thought it was food poisoning. Monday, I was at the emergency room and within 2 hrs, I was in emergency surgery. That operation cost my insurance over $23K. Had I not had insurance, it would have been all on me. For God's sake, get insurance.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Like everyone else get insurance....even if its the highest deductible.

One thing to look at is a health savings account. It allows you to put money I to an interest building account tax free in order to pay for medical bills. However you are not required to fund it at all. Think I pay 87 per month as a healthy non smoking 34 year old male.

I dont fund mine at the time and they will pay some of my medical bills. I can then deduct any medical expenses I come out of pocket for.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

You have 2 kids but don't have health insurance on you and your wife and only limited on your kids??????

1. Get a 2nd job
2. Your wife can work part time evenings/weekends
3. Stop smoking, drinking, going out to eat, etc.

Then you will make enough to provide the basic amount needed to responsibly support a family. Right now you are 1 small accident away from ruining your kids life. If you think a government handout is the answer then you are aready too far gone!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is this a serious thread or put up as a joke?

Health insurance is affordable if you make it a priority to get in most cases. Knowing the difference between a need and want is what normally gets in the way of it being affordable.

I read a article this weekend on yahoo that we have more cell phones than toilets in the world. Need vs want is the problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2013, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

dj-
You are correct! It's all about priorities. And thinking the Gov will somehow provide the answer is a BIG mistake. Just ask the seniors who thought SS was going to provide for them. But some people would rather believe a lie than face the facts. Hard work and being finacially responsible will provide more solutions than any government program.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am suprised that you are finding quotes under Obamacare. Everyone I have spoke to which includes other business owners and even a few doctors have no idea about what to expect or how it will even be implemented. One thing that is certain is that health insurance in response to it has increased by 10-13% for 2013.