Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Doesn't your state have insurance for groups like you?

http://www.health.illinois.gov/
Old 03-25-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It really is alarming the number of people without health insurance. I am talking about people making 60k+ that can clearly afford it but opt out.

Yes, you might not be on any meds and haven't had a doc visit in 3 years, but it is called insurance for a reason.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your talking to the same demographic that thinks business liability insurance is a waste of money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It must seriously vary from state to state. To cover my wife and I, both young, no health problems, no conditions, is over $1000 a month.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1 View Post
It must seriously vary from state to state. To cover my wife and I, both young, no health problems, no conditions, is over $1000 a month.
Same here, a family plan is more than my mortgage. Luckily my wife has it for her and my boys.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Your talking to the same demographic that thinks business liability insurance is a waste of money.
Posted via Mobile Device

You guys are hilarious! I'm really dissappointed with the direction this thread has taken. I've made one small comment since I started the thread and a lot have has jumped to their own conclusions about me just b/c I said I didn't currently have health coverage. And by the way I do have liability insurance on my business. I run a very professional operation. I work a second part-time job to help us in the winter but they don't offer coverage. My kids are covered by the state program that has low monthly rates and low co-pays. People with moderate income in Illinois can qualify. I had the same coverage as they did until a couple of years ago when my business started to take off and I was no longer in the income brackett for me to qualify as well. I have looked into other insurance coverages for myself and my wife. I made the mistake of signing onto an internet search provider that looks for reasonable quotes and made the mistake of giving it my phone number. For the past year I have had people calling me daily trying to offer me health insurance. Most of these have been very rude and have not acted in such a way that would make me want to buy anything from their companies. One guy even called me an idiot when I was I didn't agree to sign up right away.
I do see the importance of having coverage and I realize that I would be up a creek if I got cancer or something. I'll look into the tax savings account someone mentioned. The main purpose of this thread is to get some feedback from you on the new health mandate, which I feel is long overdue. And all of you should be very interested in doing research on it right now as it's going to raise your premiums from your beloved insurance companies 100 fold in some cases. Please don't say anything more against me that for the time being I have gone without insurance, millions of others are as well. It's a gamble, but so is everything else. If you have any contributive thoughts about the Affordable Care Act, please feel free to share them. I realize that the information out there is limited, but what I was able to find is very telling.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
You guys are hilarious! I'm really dissappointed with the direction this thread has taken. I've made one small comment since I started the thread and a lot have has jumped to their own conclusions about me just b/c I said I didn't currently have health coverage. And by the way I do have liability insurance on my business. I run a very professional operation. I work a second part-time job to help us in the winter but they don't offer coverage. My kids are covered by the state program that has low monthly rates and low co-pays. People with moderate income in Illinois can qualify. I had the same coverage as they did until a couple of years ago when my business started to take off and I was no longer in the income brackett for me to qualify as well. I have looked into other insurance coverages for myself and my wife. I made the mistake of signing onto an internet search provider that looks for reasonable quotes and made the mistake of giving it my phone number. For the past year I have had people calling me daily trying to offer me health insurance. Most of these have been very rude and have not acted in such a way that would make me want to buy anything from their companies. One guy even called me an idiot when I was I didn't agree to sign up right away.
I do see the importance of having coverage and I realize that I would be up a creek if I got cancer or something. I'll look into the tax savings account someone mentioned. The main purpose of this thread is to get some feedback from you on the new health mandate, which I feel is long overdue. And all of you should be very interested in doing research on it right now as it's going to raise your premiums from your beloved insurance companies 100 fold in some cases. Please don't say anything more against me that for the time being I have gone without insurance, millions of others are as well. It's a gamble, but so is everything else. If you have any contributive thoughts about the Affordable Care Act, please feel free to share them. I realize that the information out there is limited, but what I was able to find is very telling.
I agree with this and I'm in a similar situation.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a heart attack 5 years ago. I have yet to find any insurance that is affordable outside of a group plan through my wife's employer. Prior to that when I worked full time in another industry and my insurance costs went up almost annually. This was from a period starting in 1990. I paid 130.00 for a family of 4 back then. Now it is over 5 times that.
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 03-25-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
I am a solo lawncare operator and have limited health coverage for just my two kids. My wife is a stay at home mother. It has worked out well so far except that my wife and I are without health insurance. We are both in good health so we've taken the chance of not buying a policy as the premiums and deductables are so high as you are aware. Without starting a political discussion or an argument for or against President Obama, I was just wondering if anyone with similar circumstances is looking forward to getting some insurance under the act next year. I've used an online calcuator and it would be fairly priced for my income bracket if they are using the right figures. Just curious if anyone else is in a similar posiition. Thanks.
Where did you see the online calculator? I would like to take a look.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/heal...cy/calculator/
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13