Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
You guys are hilarious! I'm really dissappointed with the direction this thread has taken. I've made one small comment since I started the thread and a lot have has jumped to their own conclusions about me just b/c I said I didn't currently have health coverage. And by the way I do have liability insurance on my business. I run a very professional operation. I work a second part-time job to help us in the winter but they don't offer coverage. My kids are covered by the state program that has low monthly rates and low co-pays. People with moderate income in Illinois can qualify. I had the same coverage as they did until a couple of years ago when my business started to take off and I was no longer in the income brackett for me to qualify as well. I have looked into other insurance coverages for myself and my wife. I made the mistake of signing onto an internet search provider that looks for reasonable quotes and made the mistake of giving it my phone number. For the past year I have had people calling me daily trying to offer me health insurance. Most of these have been very rude and have not acted in such a way that would make me want to buy anything from their companies. One guy even called me an idiot when I was I didn't agree to sign up right away.
I do see the importance of having coverage and I realize that I would be up a creek if I got cancer or something. I'll look into the tax savings account someone mentioned. The main purpose of this thread is to get some feedback from you on the new health mandate, which I feel is long overdue. And all of you should be very interested in doing research on it right now as it's going to raise your premiums from your beloved insurance companies 100 fold in some cases. Please don't say anything more against me that for the time being I have gone without insurance, millions of others are as well. It's a gamble, but so is everything else. If you have any contributive thoughts about the Affordable Care Act, please feel free to share them. I realize that the information out there is limited, but what I was able to find is very telling.
Mea culpa. I should have elaborated more on my post. My comment wasn't directed about the OP, but rather the gamut of the usual responders on such topics. Most guys are too young and or dumb to appreciate the securities offered by insurances of any kind. They still don't get it that it is all part of running a successful business. If Obamacare works, great! In the meantime I am paying 650 a month for my wife and son to have a great UHC plan through my payroll company. Luckily I have my retired military VA for myself. I don't think you are being reckless, just unfortunate. Not your fault just a fact.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
you know the answer and I know the answer, the trouble is there is a lot of clueless people that thinks they are getting something for nothing. and the clueless has started to vote.
As you know nothing of my education or life experience education. Nor do you know what my voting patterns have been for the 32 years I have been voting. As well you have no idea what motives drive me on this issue, would it be safe to say your statement was clueless. I do thank you for it and feel I am a better person having read it. I also thank you as I'm sure your statement will go a long way to coming up with a solution to fixing this issue in a way that would make all parties happy.
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 03-26-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmtn View Post
As it has been explained to me, you and I are already are paying for uninsured people. For example, A hospital corporation is going to make their money or close. We have all heard the complaints about how some that are "undocumented" and have no insurance get better care than those that do. Many times their bills aren't paid. This forces a hospital to raise prices on the insured, ths paying for their care. I don't believe this is right either. There are many with pre existing conditions that make obtaining insurance next to impossible. Is it ok then to say sorry, your bad luck, forget owning your own business and go to work for whoever can add you to their group plan? In my opinion that would be another version of slavery. I think we addressed the slavery thing a few years back.
To me the facts are insurance has gone up since before Obama was a blip on the political landscape. It going up again is more of the same. Too many are unable to afford insurance even by being responsible non-smoking, hard working, God fearing, adults. This has been a growing problem and would only get worse over time. As this has happened our health care has dropped when compared internationally to many countries that do offer a different system. It was getting to a point where something needed to be done, wrong or right just do something. If parts are wrong fix those parts and continually improve it.
Believe me I don't blame obama, dislike him but I realize the insurance racket was bad before him. Alot of people want to go with the good old route of "its the greedy CEO's of insurance companies" I want to say its irresponsible people. How many people sit back and say screw it, rather than buying in they'll just screw the hospital over? I know a few. Its like food stamps, welfare, any other handout and the masses of people taking advantage of those systems. We all know its a problem, but they're systems that "could" be good for people down on their luck but now Johnny sees his friends eating better than him, getting good money to sit around, getting a cheaper rate on their home than him, all while watching jerry springer all day, so yea Johnny joins. Lazyness is a disease, and it's spreading.

I refuse to blame the CEO's or the companies, if I did that I'd have to let people complain about what I charge as a company, and I don't like letting others set my prices.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2006 View Post
Believe me I don't blame obama, dislike him but I realize the insurance racket was bad before him. Alot of people want to go with the good old route of "its the greedy CEO's of insurance companies" I want to say its irresponsible people. How many people sit back and say screw it, rather than buying in they'll just screw the hospital over? I know a few. Its like food stamps, welfare, any other handout and the masses of people taking advantage of those systems. We all know its a problem, but they're systems that "could" be good for people down on their luck but now Johnny sees his friends eating better than him, getting good money to sit around, getting a cheaper rate on their home than him, all while watching jerry springer all day, so yea Johnny joins. Lazyness is a disease, and it's spreading.

I refuse to blame the CEO's or the companies, if I did that I'd have to let people complain about what I charge as a company, and I don't like letting others set my prices.
I'm with you on this. I do hope the health care plan does work and that the parts that don't get fixed. I don't personally blame the ceo's either. But at the same time a lot of stockholders, upper management and hospitals and others seem to be making a lot of money off providing me with affordable health care. There are many pieces broken, hopefully they will be put back together in a good way. Those that abuse the system need to be called out for it.
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 03-26-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thats the problem insurance is going to go up crazy amounts. thats why im having a hard time deciding whether to purchase a plan or go with this. and by the way, stop acting like im not a responsible person or parent. as ive said both my kids have good coverage and wife has partial. justme that doesnt have it. and ive never touched a cigarette, i dont drink heavily, and dont fool around. plus youre reading the calculator wrong. you dont pay the whole 900 cause a large part of that is covered by a tax cr
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

tax credit. so if the calculator says 900 youre monthly payment is prob somewhere between 2 and three hundred. they dont wait until april 15th to apply your tax credit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it would be nice if the us had something closer to canada or norway. plus you guys act as though this was brought on purely by political motives . if that was the cas the supreme court would not have upheld it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
it would be nice if the us had something closer to canada or norway. plus you guys act as though this was brought on purely by political motives . if that was the cas the supreme court would not have upheld it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you prepared to give up 45% of your gross income? Check out the employment taxes on countries with socialized health care. Growing up with Canadians I am very familiar with their systems. Not bad but not great but expensive and severly restrictive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turf Guys View Post
If you can't afford it doing your current job then you should find another job or cut expenses on other things. If you're single and want to gamble that is on you.
Enough with the lecture he didn't ask you what the risk is to not having health insurance.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Some folks just plan to die in the emergency room of a curable disease, like a good American.
Others sacrifice great amounts of money for a plan that will that will not provide much and most likely will bankrupt them.
Don't get your expectations too high about getting a fair price on healthcare, you might be disappointed.