Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

transitioning from cleanups to weekly mowing

I am not new to this game but this season I am having a tough time transitioning from cleanups to weekly mowing and getting everyone on schedule.. I mean it is May 2nd and I am just coming back around to mowing some of the first cleanups we did.

any one have any advice on what they do? Also I did pick up a quite a bit of new accounts that put us behind.

any advice on what to say with current customers calling asking if we are going to cut the grass?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

tell them that it was a late start to the season due to the long winter which backed you up and that you are working as fast as possible.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmlawn View Post

any advice on what to say with current customers calling asking if we are going to cut the grass?
Tell them yes, if they're calling asking you to cut their grass there is a problem. Buy better equipment, work longer days, hire people...... if you don't mow the yards now the next call they'll give you is the one saying you're services are no longer needed
Old 05-03-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You fall behind you must take care of the old customers first.

New people come on board late they have be told that them starting late to hire you will take extra time to fit them in so they are prepared for delays in the beginning.

It is hard to grow adding customers without the man power. This is why LCO's have to be on the look out for people that they can hire PT when in a bind.

I'm lucky in that I have a 71 year old friend that is helpful. Then have 2 adult sons and one of their friends for when the work is heavy duty.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

One of the main reasons I hate spring clean ups is the season is typically less than 3 weeks long. At some point you see the lawns are growing and you will need to mow and that has to be top priority. We just finished our 3rd mowing week and we did our last spring clean up on Tuesday.

We normally mow Wens-Friday 2 crews of 2 about 180 lawns. But the first week it was short of that we probably did fewer than 100 you can't do lawns you just cleaned days ago nor ones that are still dormant. Second week of mowing which was the last of April we did about 90% of our cuts there were fewer lawns that had gotten clean ups and fewer that were still not ready. Now this week the transition is complete, were getting killed with first time lawn accounts as were are signing up new ones at a fast pace as many as 6 a day. We will not take any more spring clean ups that service is cut off and we have way to much seeding and mulch jobs waiting.

The dates change every year but the game remains the same, some years were seeding in the beginning of April not this year its been very cold and windy with no rain. Once you start mowing you have fewer days to fit in for clean ups and a few bad luck wind days you can literately lose the entire week. We got 8 days in a row here with winds 15-25s and a few 30 mph day. And like always it went from finishing early with ease to barely getting them done at all despite the look of clear sailing at the end of week 2 of clean ups. Now all in all we made a whole 16k from spring clean ups and it was done over 17 work days. But that was spread out over the entire month of April and 4 days of March. Luckily when the wind shut us down we had 60 fertilizer accounts to do and many mulch jobs.