Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
This is purely a side business, (that hasn't really started) but I don't want to hack it either. I want to be able to answer questions on weed/grass identification, fert/pre-em stuff, why grass might be dying or not growing. I can cut a lawn and make it look mint, just don't ask me the what's and why's of that lawn yet. See what I mean?
Talk to your suppliers! A lot of them either know of, or actually sponsor, one day classes on different turf problems. Obviously if the instructor is also a sales rep for a particular company, take the info you learn and check out other products, but you'll still get fundamentals.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Education is great, the more the merrier in my opinion.... However, all of that time in the classroom learning about plant species and turf management WILL NOT prepare you for when it's 8 o'clock in the morning on a Friday and you are looking at about 30 lawns and Joe Schmoe called off sick because he's hung over so that leaves you with just yourself and Larry and it's going to be one Heck of a day and it's 90 degrees and.................................................................
Old 03-24-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
If you want to work for in the industry as a professional or a manager, ie golf course superintendent, manage grounds and crew at upper end hotels and resorts, a degree is almost mandatory. If you are talking about a cutting operation not mandatory.
What types of positions are you looking for, running your own operation or working for a company in the industry
That's not totally accurate either, I know plenty of high end groundskeepers that don't have degree's, one is a landscape designer for a fortune 500 company,no degree, just years of experience in the industry, this is an industry that you can become successful being self taught, add a little bit of formal education like a assoc degree or something and you can go really far, unlike a doctor or an engineer.

Last edited by cpllawncare; 03-24-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a few years experience, but I plan to be taking courses next year in it over the summer. I figure it cant hurt anything... but maybe my wallet at first.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm going to say no. What you have to remember is when you hear things like that on the radio or the tube. The "Studies " they are referring too have been commissioned by that school to be used as marketing tool. Taking classes couldn't hurt but the degree I don't think is worth it more even when you look at what the cost of college is today. Before you jump down my throat just know that this came from a guy who holds a 4 year degree 2012 grad.

44' Toro Prolline
36' Cub Cadet
Redmax EBZ 8000
Shindaiwa C2510
Tarps up the wazo
wheelbarrow
Mulch Shovel
Rakes ect

Wishlist: 2005 Silverado 2500 HD
BOSS 7'6" POWER-V STEEL BLADE
2Stage Snow Blower (I have to think of a loading system because these things are HEAVY)

~Entrepreneurship has provided me with a avenue to make money when corporate America hasn't.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

i spoke with a well known celebrity on yard crashers and he said get as many certfications as I can
Old 03-25-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Degrees are good but nothing replaces experience. Having said that, I think both are important.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrus2 View Post
If you have no degree but you have experience on the field it balances out.
I agree with this. I do not have a degree, but I have taken some formal classes. However, my family owns the largest greenhouse/garden center business in the area, which I grew up working at, so much of my knowledge comes from there.

You need to have something. A degree is not always that something, but it can be.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christw View Post
i spoke with a well known celebrity on yard crashers and he said get as many certfications as I can
I'd say that was sound advice.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I am finishing my turf grass science degree right now and can say that on the technical side of it my degree is well worth it but I feel at times that for what I deal with most of the time I am over educated, I would much rather have it tht way tho. My wife has a management and accounting degrees and I can say that as we r growing those come into play much more than mine. But it is very expensive and extremely hard to run a biz n go to school full time. Hope this helps

Tags
lawns landscaping