Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope you guys aren't breaking down the quote that you give the customer like I'm seeing done here. Just give them one price for the whole thing. Don't confuse them.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-27-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is impossible to estimate something like this without seeing it, and if I did see it, then I would estimate it according to how I would do it, and that may not help you much.

When working out an estimate, consider all the steps you will take to prepare, travel to the work sight, complete each step of the work, and then clean up. Write everything down, including a list of everything you need to load up. Make a list of the steps you will take to complete the work. Estimate how much time it will take to do each step. Do not forget to allow a lot of clean up time, and how you will dispose of all the yard waste.

Estimates are hard, take a lot of time, and even after you have done hundreds, you will still overlook something here and there. Have a copy of the estimate for the customer to see. You can itemize the estimate or not, but you must spell out what will and in some cases, what will not be done. Have the customer sign the estimate, and pay you half the cost before work is started. Give the customer a completion date and have it done on or before that date, and get paid your balance due.

If you take photos of the job before you do the estimate, you can look them over and see details you might otherwise forget. When you are done with the job, you can review the time estimates and see how well you did and you will do better next time.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLawns View Post
So your saying $1100-1900 for the mulch installation only. Nothing for the weeding added in? Cuz the weeding and bed cleanup is extensive. What would you add for that? Thanks!
well i answered your question in my first post. depends on the site conditions: density and type of weeds, distance of bed from access of truck, etc... you will have to figure that out. it is not too difficult. good luck
Old 03-28-2013, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Creative LawnCare- No I do not want to break it down in an estimate I only broke it down to figure out of course. I didn't even get a chance to explain the costs to that customer except extensive cleanup. All he heard was $1100 and pretty much hung up haha.

Mark- Thats exactly how we did it and planned on taking more photos but got so caught up in measuring (A lot) I only took 1 photo.

Tags
cleanup , mulching , price