Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Running multiple zones concurrently

I have a large residential complex with multiple 1 1/2 inch mains feeding 16 timeclocks with a total of 187 zones. We have in the past always run only one zone at a time from any one source (main/backflow). We now have restrictions for only late night running, I am unable to get all of the zones run with the number of hours available. My question is this. Considering the main is 1 1/2, with PSI greater than 60 I am assuming that I should be able to run more than one zone at a time from the one main. If I can run two zones from different clocks, I would be able to address the time restrictions and still be able to provide the correct precipitation that is required.

Appreciate any help here.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Different controllers will allow you to run multiple zones at the same time. Which model controllers do you have? You may just have to play around with the zones and see which match up to still have enough pressure to operate properly. No magical answer (I didn't see an actual question in there either).
Old 05-01-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Hunter Pro-C clocks. I would set two clocks/zones to operate at the same time or at least to overlap. I am assuming with the large mains I wouldn't have a problem, at the pumphouse I have static 90PSI. I guess I could put a pressure guage on the main and validate drop with multiple zones operating. Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the vague question. I do appreciate the input.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Static pressure is good, but it's not your main concern. If you have low dynamic pressure due to very large zones, you may not be able to operate more than one at a time. It's going to take some time to see which zones can run together. I would also check pressure at the heads with a pitot tube and gauge on rotors, and a gauge configured to fit on a spray head. Check psi while running independently, and also while running with another.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

60 pounds is not much for concurrent running of zones. Have you juiced the system to see if you could gang a rotor zone with a drip or small spray zone?
If there ever was a reason for Rain Master/ Calsense clocks and permanent receivers, yours is right up there. What sort of clocks do you have? Is the water coming from the same source? Do you have isolators on all the clocks if they share the common?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

The zones are not large on average only 6 heads per zone, mostly Hunter I-20s, with a mix of spray heads here and there. I think I will try and run a couple and measure the pressure before and after to get the feel for it. I didn't build this, but am trying to manage what the facilty is asking for in both precipitation rates with reduce number of hours to operate the system. Thanks all.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You're on the right path. Keep it up, and let us know what you find.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't use Hunter clocks, you might check to see how many valves they can run at once.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't find online if it will run more than one station, but it is capable of operating 3 solenoids at once (which most controllers can do now-a-days)
Operate Three 7.2 VA Solenoids
Simultaneously
Able to accommodate larger water
volume systems
The Pro-C has the power capacity to operate
up to three 7.2 VA solenoids simultaneously.
There are times when the need to operate two
valve solenoids off of one station terminal (and
one solenoid on the pump start/MV terminal)
is required. This type of operation may be the
result of reduced watering windows, a retrofit
with a city water system switching over to a
water well system, or low volume (drip) zones
added to regular zones. Whatever the reason
may be, the Pro-C can handle it.

So, you could always double up the valve wires just at terminal in the controller. If you do that, I suggest labeling the wires as to what they were, and where they go.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
So, you could always double up the valve wires just at terminal in the controller. If you do that, I suggest labeling the wires as to what they were, and where they go.
If the valves being ganged at the clock have the same precipitation rate, sun/shade. etc.,fine. Otherwise gang them by program so the individual run times can be adjusted, which is where the head-scratching begins.