Register free!

Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

K Rain Rotors and mist???

Just wondering if anybody has used the new Krain rotors that fit in a pgp can and the k rain mist that fits in an 1800 series rain bird. We have used Hunter rotors and rainbird mists exclusively for over 25 years, but the quality on both heads doesn't seem to be what they used to be. we have been getting alot of leaking seals as well as heads not rotating on say heads ~3 years old, conveniently just out of warranty date. We were approached with an opportunity to get some custom printed heads with the company name and logo on top for a good price. It would actually be a few grand in savings over the course of the year on rotors alone. We have to purchase a pallet at a time so im looking to see if anyone out there has anything good or bad to say about them.. Cant seem to argue with a 5 year warranty on the heads either... Thank you in advance for your time...
Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ever try to deal with warranty issues with that vendor?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes we have. They really didn't want to hear much about the hunter stuff. The rep actually contacted us and said he would make good on some of the close date stuff. When I went to the supply house the next day , they were real sports and authorized 100 seal rebuilding kits at no charge... Unreal. What I can say is we had a horrible run of irritrol solenoids over the past couple of years dating back to manufacturedate 9/2009 . They actually stood behind their product issued us a $4500 voucher for merchandise for lost time and the service calls that we needed to go back and swap out on new installs. The supply house was good about the voucher and just applied it to our total balance... They also sent us 50 solenoids if we come across more that fail. Needless to say we have been using rainbird valves for the last year or so, and yet to have an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2013, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Irritrol solenoids have been a lingering problem since way back when it was the Hardie-owned Richdel line. Were your problem solenoids of the old design or were they the new ones?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

From what I recall we started seeing issues when they went to the thumb lever to activate valve manually not the old manual bleed only. That's when the solenoid still had the silver piece visable in the center. They then switched the coil to have a solid black top. Once they changed that design we noticed that when you would install the new valves little drops of water would bubble out of where the wires went through the top. They were supposed to have redesigned that design, but all they did was fix the water issue, bucause the failure rate only got worse. Along with that last year we had a hand full of 205 screw top valves fail out of the box . Once we opened them up , the diaphagm/seal was completely mangled. We also had 3 2 inch valves in a row fail on a new install. They were all missing that small black prong that sits in the valve body that the small silver stub sits in under the coil. Needless to say after all these years, we don't need the practice . Just need materials that work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Not prong... O ring
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtykneez View Post
Just wondering if anybody has used the new Krain rotors that fit in a pgp can and the k rain mist that fits in an 1800 series rain bird. We have used Hunter rotors and rainbird mists exclusively for over 25 years, but the quality on both heads doesn't seem to be what they used to be. we have been getting alot of leaking seals as well as heads not rotating on say heads ~3 years old, conveniently just out of warranty date. We were approached with an opportunity to get some custom printed heads with the company name and logo on top for a good price. It would actually be a few grand in savings over the course of the year on rotors alone. We have to purchase a pallet at a time so im looking to see if anyone out there has anything good or bad to say about them.. Cant seem to argue with a 5 year warranty on the heads either... Thank you in advance for your time...
Is jeff pushing that crap on you?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What's curious about the original solenoid woes is that a fairly simple production fix was probably possible. But now, I don't know.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Lol greenmonster, yes sir. That bad huh? I don't currently buy from them, but that was one of his sales points. The majority of our work is high end northern nassau which is usually built to spec with Hunter. I'm sure when it comes down to it we will continue using Hunter , but was just looking for some info on anyone who has used them. Have you? All I know was whenever I came across an old grey k rain it was swapped out immediately...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtykneez View Post
Lol greenmonster, yes sir. That bad huh? I don't currently buy from them, but that was one of his sales points. The majority of our work is high end northern nassau which is usually built to spec with Hunter. I'm sure when it comes down to it we will continue using Hunter , but was just looking for some info on anyone who has used them. Have you? All I know was whenever I came across an old grey k rain it was swapped out immediately...
Posted via Mobile Device
If you are experiencing the seal problem with the Hunters why don't you switch to RB? I did and never looked back, easier to work with overall also.