Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Member

We have tried the rb5004 with no problems, and very well may go that way for new installs if the Hunter problems persist. I'm more concerned with 25 years worth of hunters installed and just in the interest of efficiently of servicing old systems by swapping the guts out if the krain fit the can and possibility had a superior seal. What I did find was the speed and pattern of water from the rainbirds was always more pleasing to the client vs the pgp. How many times have you been asked "are those heads turning" ? The answer used to be yes slowly , unfortunately the answer today may be well maybe. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When Hunter introduced the I20 with its reduced nozzle set, they were kind of admitting that the lowest flows don't make for the most reliable rotation. If Rainbird would make some 5000 nozzles to match the PGP #2, they would get a bit more of the replacement market.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtykneez View Post
Needless to say we have been using rainbird valves for the last year or so, and yet to have an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rainbird had plenty of valve issues too. DVs had o-ring issues on the solenoids. I think they had size and material issues, and they were color coded 3-4 different times as they changed. And there is a thread floating around here for I think the PGA valves that had issues. No brand is immune to product failure.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

DanaMac i totally agree about product failure, but this irritrol problem was becoming excessive. It got to the point of embarrassment and risk of loosing great work leads when you are working for high end landscape construction companies doing 300k+ landscape jobs in exclusive ares and you get that dreaded call that a couple thousand square feet of brand new sod is toasted after a few weeks of being in the ground due to an ongoing electrical problem from irritrol. The last and final incident that made us finally switch after 25+ years of using them was on a 32 zone install. two weeks in the ground 2 failed and 3 weeks later another 4 failed.... the only way we were able to keep up was to visit the properties every week and run through, but who has time to do that ? Obsurd
Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll keep with the Richdel valve designs forever, so I can save on valve boxes.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My experience with Irritrol/Hardie valves has always been rock solid. I wouldn't say entirely problem free, but on average very few problems over many years of service. That said, jar tops suck ass .... doesn't matter what company makes them.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the Richdel solenoid issues that the Hardie re-design created were kind of subtle and flukey. It was always about water getting into an airspace and freezing over winter, but the problem needed a boost in the way of higher temperatures, so it was the antisyphon-valve solenoids that would die, while underground valves with the same solenoids would survive. Even sunlight exposure figured into it, by way of additional temperature boost.

Also, use of shallow valve boxes made a difference. I don't think I've ever seen a bulging solenoid top in a full-depth valve box, but shallow boxes are another matter.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kneez - still, my valve of choice for residential is RB DV, even with their issues. We have had plenty of issues with the Irri solenoids over the years, but it sounds different than your issues. The chamber for the plunger gets distorted due to freezing, and pushes the plunger down so it won't move up or down. Not all solenoids, but plenty of them still.

Kiril - I like the Irri 2400 due to ease of service, and it tends to be the "best" of the jar tops. They are the second most used valve in our area, behind the DV. So we stock and use quite a few of them. The diaphragm can't be put on backwards, the bonnet can't be aligned wrong, no cordless drill to remove screws. But a little dirt in the jar top threads, and it's all over.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
When Hunter introduced the I20 with its reduced nozzle set, they were kind of admitting that the lowest flows don't make for the most reliable rotation. If Rainbird would make some 5000 nozzles to match the PGP #2, they would get a bit more of the replacement market.
Exactly, rep says their engineers have a " everyone has lots of water " mentality that they refuse to rethink.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I'll keep with the Richdel valve designs forever, so I can save on valve boxes.

Do ya keep a valve wrench with ya? Used to have one , havnt seen it in a few yrs.