Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

surface water issue

I've got a customer thats house is in-between two others. Its sits lower then both. Both of the neighbors has there Downspouts facing her house. She also has Downspouts... all these pouring out onto the lawn... all this water is being funneled around her house causing many issues... will a series of French drains with sod covering them do the trick ad also having g her Downspouts piped out the back of her.property? Is thhere a.better solution to handle this running water besides a swale? Give me some options here as she needs this corrected
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

surface water issue

Sounds like you are on the right page
Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really want.to hide anything we do so I like to make a complex system of French drains and.cover with sod....basically put French drain in lowest part of yard running parallel to the house... then have "legs" of French drain running opposite of main channel catch any runoff that's getting by.....??? What u think.... have this flow to back of property and disperse it in few locations so it wont flood the neighbor behind her... maybe just use those pop up heads to daylight it??also plan on re grading the whole yard in way to funnel into drains...
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by woodlawnservice; 03-25-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I felt confident about this and she called tonight asking for.my assurance this will.work... I explained to her how it should and how I'm really.overdoing it all... she had another Guy come out today she said and.bid the job... he told her French drains will not help any as they r for standing water only....Ha! I told her... he also told her there's nothing thaat will fix the problem and just have to live with it! What!!! Her yard has steadily declined over the years she's told.me and I believe this has part to do with it... ill test the soil, amend it, thin trees for more.sunlight, then sod... he told her to just live with it and throw down some sod!!! What! I told her this is all nonsense.and explained to her all.my reasoning.... good thing when I bid the job I sat down with her, presented all.of this Ans even provided drawings on how I will run the drains.... so when this Guy was telling her all this she was already properly informed Ans felt.she knew a thing or two and called him out.on it... she said she does not know.much but apparently I knew more than him! Lol she ran him away the least to say....and took my bid this evening...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Investigate the law in your town. Talk to the city and insist that it must be corrected. Have her see a lawyer.
If the neighbors have modified their land or altered the natural drainage--they may be liable for the damage they caused.
If you can get the neighbors to route their water into your underground drain (professionally installed), and then directed to a lower point in her backyard--this should work. You need a trenching machine. You need a laser level, (or a surveyer's transit to get the slant accurate so it will flow downhill. ) Be sure you don't flood the next lower neighbor (particularly if he is a lawyer). You need a trenching or professional drainage contractor--they will know the law also.
http://realestate.findlaw.com/neighb...-disputes.html

Last edited by RigglePLC; 03-25-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: added
Old 03-25-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've bid jobs just like this, we installed not only french drains but a series of ground level sumps as well to catch and take away any surface water that may build up, there is a certain amount of regrading that has to be done also.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The whole yard will be degraded anyways... also sod be latest down... I plan on mixing.the topsoil with sand to help it be more absorbing as we grade it... I'm sure we won't flood the neighbor behind hew cause we are not adding additional water to them... if anything if are distributing it out more even back there.... her neighbors will not tie into the system... I can try but I doubt it...I will.not.be rerouting this water.onto there yards either... 1 neighbor created a swale to keep the water onto her yard... don't know about the legal side to this as.I'm sure she will not want a court battle... she has the $$ and just wants it fixed.... as for the series of ground level sumps elaborate on this some more..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Investigate the law in your town. Talk to the city and insist that it must be corrected. Have her see a lawyer.
If the neighbors have modified their land or altered the natural drainage--they may be liable for the damage they caused.
If you can get the neighbors to route their water into your underground drain (professionally installed), and then directed to a lower point in her backyard--this should work. You need a trenching machine. You need a laser level, (or a surveyer's transit to get the slant accurate so it will flow downhill. ) Be sure you don't flood the next lower neighbor (particularly if he is a lawyer). You need a trenching or professional drainage contractor--they will know the law also.
http://realestate.findlaw.com/neighb...-disputes.html
This man knows what he is talking about!!!

I had same job and I got a hold of the City and they made the neighbors pipe there water to the street.
I installed French drains and installed 2 sub pumps and it fix the problem
This was like 8 years ago and since then,I trim the customer shrubs every year and her shrubs are living for once and she said, she never had water problem since.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This women does not.want pumps.... she says they r mechanical and mechanical things break...lol has a point to some extent... pumps r not my only solution here as her property does slop. Id say 12" over 100' or so by eyeball....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And yes riggle is right no doubt but last thing this women wants is a court battle.... I understand this as she does not want to become enemies...the problem lies with the home builder... totally messed up from the beginning 30 yrs. Ago. House should have been at proper elevation but it wasn't...the neighbors didn't modify there terrain to make this problem. She has always had it but now with no grass it seems to be worse. Makes sense... grass not absorping any water or slowing it down...
Posted via Mobile Device