Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your right the builder is the one that messed up, I've seen it quite a few times around here, actually have a buddy that lives on an entire street of houses that the builder screwed up the elevation on and now every house on the street has drainage problems, all the houses were sold before the homes were completed so no one had a clue until it was too late, now all the homeowners have the builder in court but it's been years now and still no settlement. They are trying to sell but NO ONE will purchase obviously. The sumps I am referring too, are just ground level sumps that can be purchased at any WP Law irrigation store or any irrigation place you choose. They are meant to catch and redirect any surface water they are placed at the lowest spot in the yard, we used two, one for the front drain spout and one for the rear drain spout, they were connected in series to the french drain system and completely redirected all the water to the rear and away from the house, Riggle has a good point, you may want to check with the city for any legal issue's.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like you have the solution well in hand with regrading a funnel to a side of the property where a french drain will work... raise the level around the house and stick with your 1" per 7 foot slope and dig a hole, and fill with big rocks covered with smaller rocks then 1.5" river stone cover with a fabric that allows the sod to grow and prevents erosion into the rocks below...

I believe sand is a great idea along with adequate compost... I would have checked first of all the clay/sand ratio and see how deep the water drains before a hardpan obstruction, then and only then I would begin thinking aboutrational and sensible solutions...

What is your soil texture and how well does any of it drain... the french drain deal may be completely unnecessary...
Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Soils texture is all clay here.... not much loam. I hadn't dug in her specific yard yet which I do need to but I assume its like the rest around the area... I know using all these techniques is prob overkill but this system has.to work! So id rather go overboad... as for the piping of the Downspouts and all the French drains..should I try and daylight these at back of property with those nds polyps or just dig a pit and do it as a drywell?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawnservice View Post
This women does not.want pumps.... she says they r mechanical and mechanical things break...lol has a point to some extent... pumps r not my only solution here as her property does slop. Id say 12" over 100' or so by eyeball....
Posted via Mobile Device
The pumps is for back up in case the drains plug up
Pumps are under the house. She knows if she see water coming out of the sub pumps her drain system is plug up.Then she calls me I snake it out. In the 8 year only snake it out once and that was last year.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawnservice View Post
I really want.to hide anything we do so I like to make a complex system of French drains and.cover with sod....basically put French drain in lowest part of yard running parallel to the house... then have "legs" of French drain running opposite of main channel catch any runoff that's getting by.....??? What u think
No offense but I think you need to do a lot more research or hire someone to design a proper drainage solution.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes there is more research to be done.. waiting on a heavy rain downpour at the moment so I can watch and take.photos and see where most of the problem lies.. along with checking soil structure what are u recommending other than "get a professional"or hire someone as far as I know these are all steps a "professional" would take... and to become a "professional" they all start out somewhere and start with there first big drainage job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its not rocket science, I believe you'll see a solution as you watch the puddles form and discern a way to Keep it Simple...

Can you channel or grade toward the other neighbor w/out pushing the water onto them???

Where we have those kinds of conflicts,,, there is general a low lieing ditch where the 2 lawns/properties come together... not so deep that mowing becomes difficult but rather a gentle slope...
Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bingo! On top of my drain I will b grading the whole yard excatly as u say right on top of a French drain.... Im resodding anyways so might as well grade and add sand... as Bermuda loves the sand anyways...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't forget to mix in compost with that, in the sense that all that water will still separate the mineral clay/sand particles,,, rather than begin forming structure...

Sounds like a plan...
Old 03-27-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Could I not just mix.it with existing topsoil and be OK?
Posted via Mobile Device