Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

celcius opinions

Went today to jdl and restocked back up on chemical... I'm all liquid this year... so far they talked me into using stonewall 65wdg for my pre... I use.lesco 3 way/ gly before my Bermuda greens up...all Bermuda BTW here.in Oklahoma... I have drive for my crabgrass that decides to come out...simazine for fall pre, but need something for summer grassy weeds... fescuse clumps/ sedges...and such.. they talked me.into trying celcius... he said I will b very happy with it even though sedges isn't labeled on it. He says he has customers swear it controls sedges...? What do u think about this product or would u recommend something else... ? Prosedge?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Celsius is mostly for broad leaves and many grassy weeds other than goose grass. I have not found it to be very good on sedges. The super combo for bermuda and zoysia lawns is Celsius and Monument if there are sedges in addition to other weeds.

Another one to look for is Tribute WG. That is a combination of Celsius, Revolver, and Prosedge. It is pretty much effective on everything that could possibly infest bermuda. Supposed to be the one for dallis grass. I have used it for really weedy lawns in combination with Dismiss. Works as well as my old mix of MSMA, Banvel, 2,4-D, Image, and Simazine.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-26-2013, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How is that tribute priced? I basically only.needing to pot spray my sedges as I don't h e a huge problem with them...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It costs about $100 per acre at label rate. If you are only needing to spot spray sedges, something foreign to me due to the extreme weed pressure in my area, I would go for Certainty rather than Prosedge. It costs about the same and kills most of the major sedge weeds. Prosedge is only good for purple nutsedge and yellow nutsedge.

That mix I posted is what I had to do prior to products like Tribute and Celsius hitting the market. Imagine lawns with some bermuda or zoysia visible, the rest of the ground cover being crabgrass, goosegrass, tropical grassy weeds, sedges and broadleaves. Using that got me down to follow up applications for just goosegrass and the tropical grassy weeds. I do not miss how yellow or brown the lawn got on that mix though.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So now u use tribute to replace that whole mix? Being warm season turf (all Bermuda) what products do u recommend for the best bang for Buck.. I used stonewall pre with gly and 3 way, summer I'll use 3way and drive fall I got simazine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mr Oklahoma man would you do me a favor and close the dadgum barn doors tonight It was 28 yesterday morning and is 26 this morning. Way to cold for me this time of year.

I love Celcius. I use it with my pre at medium rate with MSO my first round [late Feb - March] and again at medium rate in June. March round will get the cool season broadleaf weeds and cool season grasses [or at least transition them faster] like Poa, Clump Fescue, Rescuegrass, ect...
The June round will get any Puncturevine, Sandburrs, does decent on Crabgrass although most of these are controlled with my pre so I have little pressure.

I will say that it does stun, not control or suppress, Dallisgrass, Nut Sedge, Bluestem and some others. What I mean by "stun" is that it makes them weak and slows the growth rate down for several weeks so that you think you are getting them. For Nutsedge and Kyllinga I have had the best luck with Certainty like Greendoc suggested. Some of the other things like Blindside will get the Nutsedge faster but it seems to come back that same year. The Certainty may have a slower kill but it seems to control it for pretty much the entire growing season.

I think you will be very pleased with the Celcius.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's what the Rep told me.... we shall see I guess. I will buy some certainty as well for the little sedge problems I do have. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Mr Oklahoma man would you do me a favor and close the dadgum barn doors tonight It was 28 yesterday morning and is 26 this morning. Way to cold for me this time of year.

I love Celcius. I use it with my pre at medium rate with MSO my first round [late Feb - March] and again at medium rate in June. March round will get the cool season broadleaf weeds and cool season grasses [or at least transition them faster] like Poa, Clump Fescue, Rescuegrass, ect...
The June round will get any Puncturevine, Sandburrs, does decent on Crabgrass although most of these are controlled with my pre so I have little pressure.

I will say that it does stun, not control or suppress, Dallisgrass, Nut Sedge, Bluestem and some others. What I mean by "stun" is that it makes them weak and slows the growth rate down for several weeks so that you think you are getting them. For Nutsedge and Kyllinga I have had the best luck with Certainty like Greendoc suggested. Some of the other things like Blindside will get the Nutsedge faster but it seems to come back that same year. The Certainty may have a slower kill but it seems to control it for pretty much the entire growing season.

I think you will be very pleased with the Celcius.

What do you like for your pre? Hopefully I will like this stonewall... I almost bought some dimension ystwrday...the rep said it will have pre and.post effects on crabgrass???
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawnservice View Post
What do you like for your pre? Hopefully I will like this stonewall... I almost bought some dimension ystwrday...the rep said it will have pre and.post effects on crabgrass???
Posted via Mobile Device
I am using the same active ingredient that you bought just a different name, tear the labels off and they would be the same. I do use some Pendi on the areas I know Sandburr and Puncturvine to be a problem because I feel it does a little better job on those.

I know he told you the Dimension will get some very early crabgrass, and it will, but what he did not tell you is that you will have to use a very high rate for it to do that. The problem with that is it would be very expensive compared to the Stonewall and I do not like to use that high of rate on our warm season grasses. If you did like me and spray the Prodiamine/Stonewall with Celcius on this first round, then the Celcius would knock any newly emerged Crabgrasses little winnie in the dirt and get all/most of the other stuff in the lawn also.

About the only time I use a 3way is in the Fall with my Simazine.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good suggestion! And this year was first for stonewall and celcius so no I didn't add it on first round... I used gly so I smoked everything... what do u like during heated summer months for what weeds do emerge.. just spot spray or do u apply any blanket apps
Posted via Mobile Device