Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i know man. this is my 3rd year and i just wish things were growing faster than they are. stupid economy BS and everything i'm surprised any of us can do anything anymore. i'm just wondering you know if you ever in reality get to that place that you dream about getting to or if it's all just a mirage. i've never caught a break in my life. i just wish for once i could. tired of trying and getting my hopes up only to get them crushed. it's like an ongoing endless saga. i mean what's the point of dreaming if it never becomes reality? it's just all pretty worthless at this point.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Being a start-up this year its not looking good income wise. Luckily I dont have any rent expense and other expenses are minimal. Only gotten one phone call so far this year, and picked up a building family owns and got a job there that will make up for only getting one call so far. It sucks not knowing if the no calls is due to not wanting service or that people might not even want it yet and the flyers went to waste. We handed them out and then the next day it snowed a little! Then it snowed last night a little too.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i usually dream about buying buildings and other equipment. but as far as the wether. its not messed up. its the natural cycle of the earth. frankly this is mild compared to the last cycle. last one the heat lasted 2.5 years
Old 03-26-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One thing you can do is go after those jobs that require materials and get the money for the materials up front. Then either charge the materials to your vendor account or to your credit card and get the rest of payment from your customer upon completion of the job.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

that is a really really bad idea
Old 03-26-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
that is a really really bad idea
Why is that a bad idea? It's done all the time. It's a worse idea to not get an advance for the materials and to not collect the balance at the time of completion.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree with that part. from now on only people getting materials credit are ones i know pay on time.

but to get that credit and then spend it on other stuff? that is asking for trouble. now you owe the credit card or your supplier, but you have already spent the money.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

But you've priced things so that you've made a profit, right...marked up the materials and made a profit on the labor? Essentially all you've done is better your cash flow situation, assuming it's just a short-term cash flow crunch. It's not something I'd recommend if you don't expect to be able to pay your vendor or credit card company on time.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yea. iv been stuck with the bill too many times. dont want to do that again. as of yet i dont know if ill even get my suplier to give me my account back
Old 03-27-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

what i do with materials, i just charge an extra 20%, and that usually covers my fuel and time spent getting the materials. if the materials cost $500, i get $100. but if the cost of the materials at 20% is less than $30, I charge $30. It usually covers fuel and time and the estimate (which is "free" but the charge gets worked in there if i get the job)
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything