Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2013, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

JD 757 vs. JD 600-900 series or other

After doing research I'm still confused and maybe someone can help. I am closing on an eastern KS property near KC that contains 4-5 acres of fairly level grass mowing. The property comes with a JD 757 with 400 hrs. and I think that is about a 54" deck?

My question is, while I like mowing I'm wondering about trading in the 757 for a newer model possibly commercial grade that will cut down the mowing time. Owner says they mow the area in about 4-5 hrs. After reading the JD website I'm still confused as to what I would move up to from the 757. I think I want a 60-65" deck. This is south KC area and there are other dealers besides JD but I may want to trade up with a JD dealer?? Can you suggest what models I would be looking at to move up from a 757 model and cut my mowing time? I'm interested in quality, seat comfort and time efficiency. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

The JD 757 is a full commercial mower, and 400 hours is pretty low. I can't see how it would take anywhere near 4 hours to mow 4-5 acres with that mower.

If you are going to increase deck size, I would go all the way to 72 to make the deal worthwhile. I would recommend trying the 757 and see what you can do with that before you go out and put a lot of money in a new mower.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that is good advice and I will see how long the job takes as the 757 is a decent mower and pretty low hours. Haven't shopped in awhile and wanted to keep an eye on what else is out there in case I want to move up. From what I've read a model in the JD Z900 series may be what I would look at with maybe a 64" deck. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmmower View Post
I think that is good advice and I will see how long the job takes as the 757 is a decent mower and pretty low hours. Haven't shopped in awhile and wanted to keep an eye on what else is out there in case I want to move up. From what I've read a model in the JD Z900 series may be what I would look at with maybe a 64" deck. Thanks.
The poster above you gave you good advice and info. Don't waste your money on a new mower. The 757 is a very good mower and a new one won't cut down your time any unless you go to the 72" deck. Even then, it won't be that much difference in actual cutting time when run by a homeowner who doesn't operate one all day, every day.

I run a Z950A and it is an excellent machine, but the one you are getting has very low hours, so it's doubtful it was ever used for anything but the property it is on now. Keep it and your money!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, can you tell me how many hours of grass cutting before I need to sharpen blades? Mostly grass, not too much weeds. My last experience with removing the blades on the 757 was raising up the front end with a block and tackle, not much fun but I guess you can slide out the deck also?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually the block and tackle is a handy way to do it if you have a good sturdy one.

How often to sharpen depends on what type of grass you cut, how much water it gets, how often you are cutting it, and if it is very dry which makes blades dull quicker. I'd say the average HO can go for a month or more without sharpening depending again on the circumstances. Others here who cut daily may tell you to sharpen more often, but it isn't needed for no more cutting than you'll do in a month. You will have enough cutting to do on your property to not stretch it beyond a month. Make sure not to change the factory angle on the cutting edge too. Start with new blades, and take care to keep that angle every time you do sharpen them.

BTW- Oregon G6 or G5 blades work awesome under a 7 Iron deck.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Since I'll be setting up a small workshop from scratch what kind of grinder/sharpener do I need? Previously I had a professional or the dealer sharpen the blades. I know about the balance deal but not sure about grinding the blades and knowing what I'm doing.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can use an angle grinder pretty effectively for HO use, and even for commercial applications. Some may disagree with me, but unless you are in a raging hurry all the time, I'd just use the angle grinder or a good old bastard file. I have used the file more than anything over the years because I can do the wavy edge on all my mulching blades very easily and correctly, but I use the angle grinder a lot and it is more than quick enough, and still accurate as long as you pay attention.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What is a bastard file?
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-26-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The 757 is one of the best machines deere put out. With only 400 hours you should have many years of trouble free mowing left. I would consider going to a suspension platform or full suspension seat and using it to 1000 hrs at least. We bought one from another company with 300 hrs on it and used it for a full season which took it to 1000 hrs and never so much as replaced a belt. It has a great cut and great balance with just the right amount of mower for weekly mowing without wasing fuel.