Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2013, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Massachussetts license test??

Anybody here have or had a Massachussetts pesticide license? Wondering how hard the test is, whether I should take the class, or just wing it. I'm licensed in CT, and our supervisory test is about as hard as it gets. I have many years of experience as an applicator, a pesticide dealer, and running fert businesses.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

With your background, no problem. Take the test
Old 03-26-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Go ahead and take the class. What's the worst that happens is you gain a little more knowledge. I have my Mass. License . Took the test about 7 years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The test is difficult - if you do not study. I took it back in '01 and passed. Two years later I took the Certification test and passed, and in '05, I took the dealer license test and passed. I had to study for each one and each time I walked out of there thinking that I failed (I thought they were all hard). I guess I didn't give myself enough credit because I passed each time.

I think your background will certainly help you but it is not a guarantee that you'll pass. The test itself is 125 multiple choice questions and I believe you have to get 89 of them correct to pass. Most people think that with a multiple choice test, they'll be able to pass no problem. The problem is that 3 out of the 4 questions COULD BE correct. Your job is to find the one that is MOST CORRECT. These days, I have a training class that I put on at my John Deere Landscapes location every February. I've done it for the past 4 years and I've helped 15 - 20 people get licensed.

If you're interested in taking the test, order your CORE study manual and two supplemental guides from the U-MASS Bookstore in Amherst, Ma. Read and study each chapter and answer the questions at the end of each chapter before taking the test.

Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 03-26-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Core or commercial cert? Both 125 questions. Core has 25 IPM questions and I think 15 label ones. As long as you can read a label that should be 40 in the bag right there. All the info is in one book for the core. There's another small book for the commercial test. Get them from umass bookstore. Pretty easy overall as long as your comfortable with the info in the books. I didn't go to those classes but have heard that they weren't all that great. Lesco offers free test preps usually over the winter that really helped me. They teach what you need to know to pass the test.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Whoops. Sorry about the repeat info.
Posted via Mobile Device