Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Drainage issue

This customer is having issues with growing grass in his backyard because of the drainage. As you can see, that back area is all dirt and he's saying the water is just laying there with nowhere to drain. Now, I've never done anything with drainage before so I'm not sure exactly how to go about this.

Do I just need to raise the soil up towards the back? If so, how would I do that with his shed being there? Do I need to install some sort of drainage pipe? I would say from the back of the house all the way to the area where there is no grass, the elevation drops about a foot. Would I just grade the entire yard??
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a shade situation to me. Trees are doing fine--they would be flooded out in a situation of bad drainage. If water stands more than 24 hours--then yes you need more slope to drain it. Use a swale--a shallow valley that you can still mow over that directs the water to a lower level off the property. You may need to tie strings and use a good level. Or... you need French drains or drainage tubing.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

French drain.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The soil around those trees doesn't soak into the ground??? That area is flat whereas the grassy area from the house slopes in that direction???

Those tree roots eventually use that water, once it soaks in and since the lawn is substandard I wouldn't have him waste time trying to grow grass down there but would intall mulched perennial beds that would imporve the soil's ability to perculate the water... flat stones for a raised walkway to and from the shed...

It is always better to have water soak into the soil rather than running over the top all the time...those trees should clean the water not just give up topsoil to erode elsewhere...
Old 03-27-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire3416 View Post
This customer is having issues with growing grass in his backyard because of the drainage. As you can see, that back area is all dirt and he's saying the water is just laying there with nowhere to drain. Now, I've never done anything with drainage before so I'm not sure exactly how to go about this.

Do I just need to raise the soil up towards the back? If so, how would I do that with his shed being there? Do I need to install some sort of drainage pipe? I would say from the back of the house all the way to the area where there is no grass, the elevation drops about a foot. Would I just grade the entire yard??
Did you consider the solution may be to move the downspout water to an appropriate location?
Old 03-27-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
The soil around those trees doesn't soak into the ground??? That area is flat whereas the grassy area from the house slopes in that direction???

Those tree roots eventually use that water, once it soaks in and since the lawn is substandard I wouldn't have him waste time trying to grow grass down there but would intall mulched perennial beds that would imporve the soil's ability to perculate the water... flat stones for a raised walkway to and from the shed...
i told the guy a number of times that i don't think it's a drainage problem and that it just has to do with the shade. I suggested exactly what you said about widening the beds but he keeps insisting that he wants it raised up and he thinks this is the problem.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Did you consider the solution may be to move the downspout water to an appropriate location?
My opinion too. I think the customer sees water puddling on the bare soil. It has to come from someplace and a lot I bet comes from the leaders. As long as the property slopes away from the house towards the rear you are in good shape. In situations like this I have run pipe from all downspouts and dumped them into a big drywell at the rear of the property. Matter of fact we have a new building code here that requires rainwater mitigation. Has to be approved by an engineer.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire3416 View Post
i told the guy a number of times that i don't think it's a drainage problem and that it just has to do with the shade. I suggested exactly what you said about widening the beds but he keeps insisting that he wants it raised up and he thinks this is the problem.
I agree. If you raise it up all that is going to happen is water will collect in the "valley" where you started raising the grade.

But I guess if he knows it all and want's it raised up why not do it and take his $$$.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
My opinion too. I think the customer sees water puddling on the bare soil. It has to come from someplace and a lot I bet comes from the leaders.
oh wow i never realized that until now. the ground does gets REALLY wet in that area directly in front of that back downspout. that's the area that gets the most water honestly. so maybe that's what I'll just do then. run a drain from the downspout to the mulch bed and then just widen the mulch beds in the back. what do you think?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
I agree. If you raise it up all that is going to happen is water will collect in the "valley" where you started raising the grade.

But I guess if he knows it all and want's it raised up why not do it and take his $$$.
haha your right, i should...