Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2013, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

New Wildcat questions

I picked up my new Scag yesterday. It's 33 degress up here (Northern MN) with a fresh dusting of snow on May 4th. I turned up the heat in the garage and will double check everything. I have a few questions.

Would you recomend putting anti-seiz on the nuts/bolts which secure the blades so they are easier to get off for shapening or replacing when needed?

Deck leveling. 1/4 inch lower in front or level?

I filled it with gas on the way home and added a little Sea Foam to each tank just in case of moisture.

Any tips would be helpful on what to check or adjust.

Thanks
Bob
Old 05-04-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I checked it over and found the tires were over inflated. I checked the deck and it is about 1/4 inch lower in the front and was level side to side. The blade height was about a 1/4 inch off (lower) which was probably from over inflated tires. I read the manual on the 25HP Kohler engine and could not find the oil capacity? There are two oil drain plugs as well. Do both oil drain plugs need to be removed when changing oil? My dealer said to change the oil after 5 hours which I will do. The manual also said to break the engine in (50 hrs.) before switching to a synthetic blend, which I will do.
Thanks for the suggestions, appreciate the help?
Old 05-04-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Where did you buy it from?

Anti sieze on the blade bolt is a good idea. Only one drain plug needed to be used. Did the dealer give a engine manual? Typically the engine will take about 2 qts.

The deck height pitch is good. The height being off is no big deal unless you have a fleet and want them all to match.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure about the Wildcat, but I know TT and V-Ride decks are supposed to be level front to rear according to the manual. Older manuals used to say pitch the deck 1/4" in the front.

We have never had any problems with spindles on any of our Scags but anti-seize wouldn't be a bad idea just in case. The only mower we have ever had problems with spindle nuts on is a JD.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-04-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
Not sure about the Wildcat, but I know TT and V-Ride decks are supposed to be level front to rear according to the manual. Older manuals used to say pitch the deck 1/4" in the front.

We have never had any problems with spindles on any of our Scags but anti-seize wouldn't be a bad idea just in case. The only mower we have ever had problems with spindle nuts on is a JD.
Manual does say flat but 1/4" pitch cuts really good and reduces blowout.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good info, thanks. I'm gonna try it on ours when I get a chance. I would think it should stripe a little better pitched in the front.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-04-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
Good info, thanks. I'm gonna try it on ours when I get a chance. I would think it should stripe a little better pitched in the front.
Just adjust your rear tire pressure at first to try the different pitch. If you like it then change in mechanically. Much easier to try things that way first.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Yrs back talking to the Toro rep (we have 5 300 series Ground masters) he said when setting up decks that:

If your HP limited or want less belt and idler wear on a side or rear discarge deck go with 1/8 to 1/4" lower on the front casters as your only cutting with the blade tips and the rest of the blade is "free" spinning, however your cut will look more 1 to 2 days ago(not perfectly smooth).

Should you want a glass smooth cut with SD or RD set it level as your cutting with the full blade every revolution, however with lower HP you need to reduce speed slightly.

And with your new Guardian Recycler deck(or any other mulcher), ALWAYS set the front 1/4-3/8" higher than the rear so you are cutting off more from front to rear and it reduces the size of your clippings and the machine works less as you are not re cutting the clippings as much.

Works great for us- 27 hp 72'' 1/4" down, 45hp 72" level and 28hp diesel 72" mulcher 1/4" up and our toro rep was right. I suspect that goes for all mowers.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info Rick. I did get the Kolher engine manual but there was no capacities info for the engine oil or hydraulics oil with or without filter change. It did recommend putting oil in the filter before installing the new filter.
The engine oil recommends 10-30 and I believe the dealer told me the hydraulic took 10-50 engine oil. I will probably change the hydraulic oil filter at 5 hours and just add to compensate just as a precaution for any impurities.