Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-27-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Answering Service

Does anyone have any recommendation for an answering service? My situation is unique as in I'm deaf and when out in the field I can't always use my captioning service to talk on the phone

So I was hoping to setup a voicemail service that transcribed what people say into an email. It would be wonderful if I could set up the voicemail to say what I want to.

I've tried a few, namely ATT's service but it was too expensive and wasn't worth the cost

Any Recommendations?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Google Voice does transcription, although the results can be an amusing rollercoaster. It's getting better, but it's a freebie you might want to look into.

Edit: For example, I just read now a voicemail from a client that I'm 99% sure he closed with "Thanks, Tony.". I guess there is a 1% chance he did actually end it with, "Thanks, honey.". lol
Old 03-27-2013, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is who I use. Call and ask them .

http://www.pcmsi.com/
Old 03-27-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a reason to not just leave a voicemail message saying to send an email with the email address (and no option to leave a message)? Almost all telephone voice message systems will allow an outgoing message without the mailbox receiving messages.

That leaves you without additional costs and you get the messages in the format you want and everyone has email, even my 94 yr old grandma.

It would be up to you if you want to tell callers the reason why they need to email. Anyone can make the message for you and you would eliminate a go between that may just lead to confusion or miscommunication, a win for everyone.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

^ unprofessional in my opinion. We live in the land of immediate gratification. I'm looking into the the other suggestions. Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out answer Alabama. It's my fathers company. Great prices. Pm me ill give you his info
Old 03-29-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
^ unprofessional in my opinion. We live in the land of immediate gratification. I'm looking into the the other suggestions. Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Email and text are instant gratification if you are carrying a web enabled phone and respond promptly. Miscommunication and delays are the things that make unprofessional communications.

I wouldn't answer my phone while driving, operating equipment or working around water (irrigation or fertilization) and usage rates show email and text are far more widely used than voicemail now.

If it's not for you, that's fine, but there is nothing unprofessional about written communication (and it leaves a nice record of the exchange for future reference).
Old 03-29-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenUtah View Post
I wouldn't answer my phone while driving, operating equipment or working around water (irrigation or fertilization) and usage rates show email and text are far more widely used than voicemail now.
If my phone rings I answer it. There is a pot of gold on the other end of that phone. If I didn't answer my phone while I was driving I'd probably have to live on $50,000 a year. Not happening.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have time warner cable and they email me the message so I can listen to it, but I include my email in my message as well as my emergency line (google voice as tony said works pretty well)...I prefer folks who email and have done pretty well over the last 20 years working during the day and returning phone calls at lunch and night.

I get 95 percent of customer contact via email, not phone...that works to my demographics here in Austin. ?.plus I like to send pdf estimates with photos and alternate services.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenUtah View Post
Email and text are instant gratification if you are carrying a web enabled phone and respond promptly. Miscommunication and delays are the things that make unprofessional communications.

If it's not for you, that's fine, but there is nothing unprofessional about written communication (and it leaves a nice record of the exchange for future reference).
What about the still sizeable portion of the population that is not email/text savvy or enabled? I have a few elderly folks that still have a rotary phone. I'm duly impressed by this guy. I'm sitting here trying figure out how I would overcome such an issue in this business.
Posted via Mobile Device