Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
What about the still sizeable portion of the population that is not email/text savvy or enabled? I have a few elderly folks that still have a rotary phone. I'm duly impressed by this guy. I'm sitting here trying figure out how I would overcome such an issue in this business.
Posted via Mobile Device
You'd be surprised how many folks can email...I prefer that customer and cater toward them...we spent a lotta years working for the elderly and changed toward tech savy folks..not s problem here
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 03-30-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenUtah View Post
Email and text are instant gratification if you are carrying a web enabled phone and respond promptly. Miscommunication and delays are the things that make unprofessional communications.

I wouldn't answer my phone while driving, operating equipment or working around water (irrigation or fertilization) and usage rates show email and text are far more widely used than voicemail now.

If it's not for you, that's fine, but there is nothing unprofessional about written communication (and it leaves a nice record of the exchange for future reference).
I am all for email and text communication. But most people that are new clients call for an estimate and THEN I get their email.

Telling someone to send me an email through my voicemail will likely result in me losing the customer to someone that answers the phone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
What about the still sizeable portion of the population that is not email/text savvy or enabled? I have a few elderly folks that still have a rotary phone. I'm duly impressed by this guy. I'm sitting here trying figure out how I would overcome such an issue in this business.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's not easy. But when there is a will there's a way
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I am all for email and text communication. But most people that are new clients call for an estimate and THEN I get their email.

Telling someone to send me an email through my voicemail will likely result in me losing the customer to someone that answers the phone.
Posted via Mobile Device
They call first because that is what you direct them to do. If your ads and cards feature a phone number instead of a web address, that is exactly where you are leading them.

You are the one deciding the communications channel, they are just following your lead.

As for the elderly, my parents and their friends are in their 70s, my grandmother in her 90s. I watch how they use their equipment and they have a distinct favoring of written communication so that they can read and reread things to make sure they aren't misunderstanding or missing anything. Their first move is their computer, not their last and demographic numbers for the fastest growing groups of internet and social media bear that out.

If your area still has people using leased rotary phones, you've got bigger problems.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I wish I would never have to answer a phone to be honest with you. I put out 100 text 90210 signs and got maybe 4 texts from them.

People just prefer phones in our area. If you have any advice on how to make it easier for me I'd appreciate it. Maybe a simpler email address?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What if people are already online when they encounter your ads? Then it's just a click to connect to you whether that is mobile, social or other digital ad. A simple or catchy web name can also make drive by reads have better "stickiness" and perhaps give you a chance to make a compelling sales pitch BEFORE they contact you with specials and history, etc of what you do, by driving them to web first.

If they are there gathering more info, it's natural to steer them to an electronic contact and the bonus is, if crafted properly, there should only be closing details to work at that point. The only fail for companies when using these methods (that millions of other businesses are successfully utilizing) is when they fail to set methods for responding to electronic communications promptly and professionally.

Mobile and web are your natural partners. Leverage them to your benefit.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I get WAYYYY more estimate requests via my form over than email or phone call.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can help you with an answering service. Cheap. Like under 40/month.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nick boyd - b office solutions

att sucks!
Old 03-08-2014, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
I can help you with an answering service. Cheap. Like under 40/month.
Posted via Mobile Device
Didn't realize you could get answering services so cheap? That with a live operator answering with some knowledge of your company?