Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 PM

Exclamation Communication with Lawn & Landscape Clients More Important Than Ever

The days of placing an ad, the phone rings, bids placed, bids accepted, worked performed, money paid are all but gone in the lawn and landscape industry.

Does this still happen sometimes in some places? Yes, but nowhere near as often as before. The economy and the uncertainty going on with money has changed all of this. It's hard now, more competitive, more about price and far less about loyalty.

Clients want more for less. They want the very best price and they want as much as they can get for that price. If your pricing is not competitive, you are going to have difficulty getting the job. Even those business owners who are superior salespeople are seeing that people are still more influenced by price than ever before.

Am I suggesting you become the lowest price service provider? No.

What I am suggesting is that you start to place more emphasis on communicating with the prospect and client - more so than ever before.

Don't just communicate who you are and what you do. Now you must communicate how you are different and better.

And once you get the job you have to make sure you and the client are on the same page. If you sold them on the idea that you would provide certain services in a certain manner, you must make sure you intend to live up to those promises. If you sold someone and did not make it clear what would be provided, when and how, you must make these things clear to them in the very beginning of the relationship.

If you and a client enter into a relationship with different expectations, problems will follow. Be as transparent as you can, do your best to give them the best, but don't lead them to believe that they are going to get more than you are willing to give.

Keep lines of communication as open as you can. I know you are busy but if you are not developing and improving your client relationships, they will be more inclined to continue to shop for the best deal.

Don't let this happen. Communicate.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Price is the #1 thing on a potential customer's mind. No question about that.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree comunication is vital for keeping yourselves busy anymore. Peopl are very tight with there money and buisiness is all about the best price. I agree you have to be maybe alittle cheaper than a few years ago but that doesn't mean you can't still make a profit. I noticed what works the best anymore is to not drag out a new customer. When they call,if you want and NEED there buisiness you better get there as FAST AS YOU CAN. Don't mess around with them. Now a days whenever somebody has some extra money laying around they want to spend it as fast as they can. So most of the time I've noticed with fast estimate response time and competative prices and quality work they will be pleased and tell there friends. Also like Sean said even communicating with your regular customers is important too, It might be hard too when your real busy, so make it a plan to have a comunication plan in place, Here's mine real simple. Spring newsletter to all customers, every 3 months I usually do a simple call to all my regulars just to see if they need anything, a christmas card and thankyou letter to end the season. I don't have much effort there and the little effort there seems to keep my customers happy, and there is allways room for improvement. Another thing about communicating say in late spring when we are totally maxed and booked for 2 months any new customers looking for landscaping work even if we are too busy to work for them instad of blowing them off we still call them back and refer a friend of ours.

Tags
lawnbusinessreport.com , sean adams , thelawnletter.com