Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2013, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
get a honda nexite deck. if it breaks you get a new one free.
More bad advice....that's only for private residential use
Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
BTW, Toro 22176. Can't hardly break em with a hammer.

My guess is either they HATE using the 21" and are trying to send a message. Or they're bouncing a 1000+ lb. Z onto them. You've actually broke more than one?
Posted via Mobile Device
I believe the current count is 5.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been using cheap $400 Honda's with the steel deck. If one breaks buy a new one. At that price if you have to buy a new one every two years you are coming out on top. Plus how often do you really need a 21"? It's painful for me to see people spend $1200 on a 21" mower. I can buy three Honda's for that price!! I have gone through 1 so far and it was my fault. I thought I had latched the back of my tailgate.... As it turns out I didn't and it rolled back out of the truck. Still runs but the deck it bent.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use to use the 400 dollar Hondas as well. I found that the transmissions were junk, so we switched to exmark 21". I agree it was painful to spend 1100.00 on a 21" but I have found they cut better, have more power, last alot longer, and are built like tanks and reliable. so as some would go thru 3 Hondas in 6 years, I go thru one exmark in that time with no problems or headaches. So it becomes a ford verse Chevy thing. So people like new stuff every two years and some like to buy things that last. Either way it comes out being the same just personal preference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarshall View Post
I believe the current count is 5.
Jim, all I can say is WOW! Anything can happen once. By the second broken Toro cast deck, I'd be wondering WTF? But 5, really? Got any pics? And or pics of a loaded trailer? I can't imagine 5 such accidents. Unless as stated previously, either a heavier machine is bouncing on or into them. Or someone is doing it intentionally.

What does your dealer say? Has he seen such an issue before?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2013, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Jim, all I can say is WOW! Anything can happen once. By the second broken Toro cast deck, I'd be wondering WTF? But 5, really? Got any pics? And or pics of a loaded trailer? I can't imagine 5 such accidents. Unless as stated previously, either a heavier machine is bouncing on or into them. Or someone is doing it intentionally.

Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, are the breaks always in different places, or very close to the same place? I could understand 5 breaking if the actual break was really more or less a tear that starts at a hole or weld etc. and always in the same spot due to a manu defect, but just breaking? That's really bucking against very high odds for it to happen to the same guy repeatedly.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
We keep breaking the left rear wheel off.

Seeing as how its the same thing and they are all coming off the same trailer, I think there is some merit to your theory of it being how the trailer is loaded/ how the equipment is strapped down.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, sounds like the big mowers are beating up the little ones.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

That is so true. I have yet to have any transmission issues. I have had to replace the belt once. Those Exmarks are built to last. I can tell by the large welds they use and the thick deck. I like how you can adjust the wheels on the Exmark. I have heard that the Exmarks don't mulch well but I have never used one so I'm not going to assume that is how they are. My Honda's cut good as long as you keep the blades sharp. They do tend to bog down in thick grass but what do you expect. I have an Old JD JX75 with a Kawasaki and I am nervous about buying another small Kawasaki. I have not had that much luck with them. Bad carbs mainly but I blame that on the gas nowadays. The JX75 may have the best cut I have ever seen. (when it runs)
Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's gotta be getting bullied. Strap the big uns down. Most likely it gets rammed under braking, or possibly gets landed on from a curb hop or pothole.

Ever see what happens when you throw one of those old mag decks onto a fire? Pile up some pallets and or brush and heave the old deck on top. Burns like a giant sparkler for about half an hour. (Or so I hear). Burns crazy hot, and DO NOT THROW WATER ON IT. Won't help. Guaranteed to light up the sky.
Posted via Mobile Device