Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
It's gotta be getting bullied. Strap the big uns down. Most likely it gets rammed under braking, or possibly gets landed on from a curb hop or pothole.

Ever see what happens when you throw one of those old mag decks onto a fire? Pile up some pallets and or brush and heave the old deck on top. Burns like a giant sparkler for about half an hour. (Or so I hear). Burns crazy hot, and DO NOT THROW WATER ON IT. Won't help. Guaranteed to light up the sky.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok, next question, how is everyone securing their equipment?
Old 03-28-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Been using these. Quick and easy.http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=190577973025

Push mowers get a ratchet strap, or just pull strap. All mowers get secured before the truck rolls. I dipped a trailer tire into a ditch a few years back, when it popped back up, a 48" John Deere hopped several feet in the air and nearly ejected itself from the trailer. Was going around 20 mph at the time (looking for a new address). Since then, I've realized how quickly someone could have been hurt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2013, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarshall View Post
Ok, next question, how is everyone securing their equipment?
Obviously if you have a heavy pushmower it wont be feasible to haul it in a pick up bed. Since I got a lighter pushmower(torosr4) last spring I started to transport it in the pick up bed. Best move I made. I dont use it on every yard so it is nice to just grab my bigger mowers without fighting with a pushmower on the trailer. Also my yards are clustered in just a few neighborhoods so I only have to lift it off of the truck once for multiple yards. I literally destroyed a nice honda by trailering it and tying it down with a ratchet strap. It got less abuse by actually mowing with it. Where I live cops are very strict so a bungee strap will not work if the mower is on the trailer. I dont know why they dont make tie down points on these heavy commercial pushmowers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
More bad advice....that's only for private residential use
that's not bad advice. it depends on how much you use a pushmower. i only have 1 customer where i have to use a pushmower. 99% of my mowing is done with a ztr rider. i have no need for a commercial pushmower. i'm solo. not everyone out there has a crew of 25 people that mow 10hrs a day with pushmowers.

i'm still using a residential craftsman pushmower with a honda engine i've had for over 10 years. it still has original belt for the self propel and wheels still in great shape and nothing has ever broken on it. i take care of my equipment and i don't throw it around.

it's clear to see we are complete opposites. what is good for you is bad for me and what is good for me is bad for you.

i live where people didn't vote for Obama as well. i'm pretty sure that's opposite of how it is where you live.

Last edited by weeze; 03-28-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dang, now even push mower threads are getting political.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
that's not bad advice. it depends on how much you use a pushmower. i only have 1 customer where i have to use a pushmower. 99% of my mowing is done with a ztr rider. i have no need for a commercial pushmower. i'm solo. not everyone out there has a crew of 25 people that mow 10hrs a day with pushmowers.

i'm still using a residential craftsman pushmower with a honda engine i've had for over 10 years. it still has original belt for the self propel and wheels still in great shape and nothing has ever broken on it. i take care of my equipment and i don't throw it around.

it's clear to see we are complete opposites. what is good for you is bad for me and what is good for me is bad for you.

i live where people didn't vote for Obama as well. i'm pretty sure that's opposite of how it is where you live.
Sorry but you recommended a mower because the deck has a lifetime warranty, yet that warranty is not valid if the unit is used for commercial purposes. I know this is the commercial and residential lawn mowing equipment forum, but obviously the OP is using the mowers for commercial purposes. So that's bad advice in my opinion.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Sorry but you recommended a mower because the deck has a lifetime warranty, yet that warranty is not valid if the unit is used for commercial purposes. I know this is the commercial and residential lawn mowing equipment forum, but obviously the OP is using the mowers for commercial purposes. So that's bad advice in my opinion.
you go buy a mower at home depot they don't ask if you are a commercial lawncare company owner. you aren't forced to tell them you are in a lawn business. they have no idea.

it doesn't really matter anyways. it's not gonna break anyways if you treat it right. if you go around throwing your mower off of a tall building then yeah it may break. they drove an suv over the deck and it didn't break in the honda video. an suv weighs more than a mower so nothing to worry about.

so what now? it seems no matter how much i try to help people someone is always gonna bash me for it? i just don't understand you guys and the way you think. there's this thing called common sense. use it for God's sake.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if you want a commercial 21" mower then get a honda hrc with a steel deck.

man up and get the push model and you will never have to worry about tranny issues down the road.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
you go buy a mower at home depot they don't ask if you are a commercial lawncare company owner. you aren't forced to tell them you are in a lawn business. they have no idea.

it doesn't really matter anyways. it's not gonna break anyways if you treat it right. if you go around throwing your mower off of a tall building then yeah it may break. they drove an suv over the deck and it didn't break in the honda video. an suv weighs more than a mower so nothing to worry about.

so what now? it seems no matter how much i try to help people someone is always gonna bash me for it? i just don't understand you guys and the way you think. there's this thing called common sense. use it for God's sake.

Not trying to bash you, just pointing out that it's not intended for commercial use. I didn't write the warranty, Honda did, and I'm sure they excluded commercial use for a reason. I looked into the Xenon decks before I bought my Honda mower and it was the same deal. I actually went with the Aluminum deck electric start Master's Series mower, which is no longer available.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

spend the $ and get the proline model-which you should be buying in the first place. you wont break that deck.quality pays in the long run everytime