Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-29-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Dang, now even push mower threads are getting political.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea, really. There are plenty of other outlets for this garbage. There are an endless number of forums on the internet that are devoted to this stuff. No reason to be polluting a mower thread.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Buying a 21" mower should be done on a "case by case" basis. What works well for a solo may not be the same for a crew. I use a cheap Honda HRR and it works fine. Many of you need to ask yourself what the ROI (Return on Investment) will be. For me I can use a cheap Honda and a old JX75 and I am fine. Some others want to spend $1200 on a mower to last. Thats fine too. Everytime I purchase ANY equipment I try and ask myself this question. Will I get more than my money back on this? I have seen people in my area use cheap craftsman/AYP mowers and I suppose they work for them. This may be just a suggestion but if you keep having issues with Toro...Maybe it's time to try another brand???
Old 03-29-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used the Cast aluminum deck Toro's for years. Both homeowner and proline. Both are excellent, and remarkably similar. Heavier tranny and deck make the Prolines near bullet proof. I like the Kaw models best. Mulches or bags near anything. The 90's homeowner cast deck three speeds work pretty darn good at about 25-30% lighter, and can be had used cheap.

I bought my Toro 22176 proline used about 2 years old for $300 off Craigslist. It was like new. Still have an older homeowner one that just won't die. It has bagged many tons of grass. For small city lots they're tough to beat.

The older Lawnboy 3 speed 2-cycle were a great choice for a Solo, but crews tend to kill em.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

5 broken decks...wow. I use the Snapper 21'' self propelled mowers, one is a 1990s one and the other is a commercial one from the mid 2000s. My other mower is a 1990 Toro 26624 21'' self propelled with a Suzuki motor (still starts first pull).
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

How does that Suzuki run? I have had the pleasure of working on Briggs, Honda and Kawasaki. Honda being the most reliable. Then Kawasaki and then lastly Briggs. .. I have recently worked on a new "toro engine" carb. It was on a Super Recycler. The carb is very cheaply made. Also I thought it was funny. The salesman at my toro dealer tried to tell me that it was an engine Honda made for Toro. He obviously didn't know what he was talking about.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outpowspo View Post
How does that Suzuki run? I have had the pleasure of working on Briggs, Honda and Kawasaki. Honda being the most reliable. Then Kawasaki and then lastly Briggs. .. I have recently worked on a new "toro engine" carb. It was on a Super Recycler. The carb is very cheaply made. Also I thought it was funny. The salesman at my toro dealer tried to tell me that it was an engine Honda made for Toro. He obviously didn't know what he was talking about.
Time for the long story on this mower. It was sitting probably since 2005 or so. Dad and I tried to get it running several years back without much work, but that didn't quite pan out so we put it back away, but didn't drain the gas out. After I actually got involved with small engine repair (at the age of 13, I'm almost 14 now) I figured, "heck, I bet I can get this old mower running." The carb on it was really bad, but we had another identical mower with a carb that was slightly less dirty. Finished cleaning out the second carb, put a new air filter, fuel line, fuel filter and spark plug, as well as one of the intake gaskets, and after ~6-7 years of sitting, it fired up on the first pull!

Now, for the answer to what you were asking, yes, it runs pretty good for it's age. When I start it I have to warm it up for ~15-20 seconds or so on partial choke, and she's a good runner. But it you engage the blades too early (it does have a BBC clutch) it will stall out. And I broke the lever for the transmission shifter, so I have to reach down and change it with my hands. But all in all, for 23 years old, it's a great mower.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I put maybe 3hours a week on a push mower. My cheap high wheeled, briggs 6.5hp huskee from tractor supply has served me well for 4 year. It all depends on your needs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillsLandscape View Post
Time for the long story on this mower. It was sitting probably since 2005 or so. Dad and I tried to get it running several years back without much work, but that didn't quite pan out so we put it back away, but didn't drain the gas out. After I actually got involved with small engine repair (at the age of 13, I'm almost 14 now) I figured, "heck, I bet I can get this old mower running." The carb on it was really bad, but we had another identical mower with a carb that was slightly less dirty. Finished cleaning out the second carb, put a new air filter, fuel line, fuel filter and spark plug, as well as one of the intake gaskets, and after ~6-7 years of sitting, it fired up on the first pull!

Now, for the answer to what you were asking, yes, it runs pretty good for it's age. When I start it I have to warm it up for ~15-20 seconds or so on partial choke, and she's a good runner. But it you engage the blades too early (it does have a BBC clutch) it will stall out. And I broke the lever for the transmission shifter, so I have to reach down and change it with my hands. But all in all, for 23 years old, it's a great mower.

Toro sure does make a good mower. I've always had Hondas. I have had three. My first was a honda masters which was my dad's. He still uses it. The then I got my first harmony 2 which fell out of the back off my truck. Now I'm 24 and have my 3rd which is about two years old.I have done nothing but simple maintenance. I also have a jx75. It's really fast for a self propelled mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the old half rusted out Scotts 21'' push mower we have. When we tried to fix the Toro 26624 the first time, we were gonna just buy a new carb for it until we learned that the carb was like $200. So dad went to the local lawn mower shop and got an old Scotts mower with a Honda GCV160 motor that came off of a pressure washer. The mower has no bail bar (still has the original red off-switch down by the engine) and it has had all self propelled features removed (so now it's just a fairly heavy push mower). Parts of it I've had to cover with duct tape b/c it's so rusted out. Only thing good about it is that it has a Honda motor.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp lawn View Post
I put maybe 3hours a week on a push mower. My cheap high wheeled, briggs 6.5hp huskee from tractor supply has served me well for 4 year. It all depends on your needs.
Posted via Mobile Device
My guys are putting less than that on one. That's what makes them breaking so frustrating.