Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Decent high wheel push mower?

Looking for recommendations on a decent high wheel push mower. We have a lot of Floratam St Augustine grass that is extremely thick and will sink a small wheel mower.

I have 3 regular lawns currently that need the push mower on them due to gates or other obstacles. Looking back through this past month of bank owned properties we only used the push mower 7 times.

We are starting up another crew this year and will need a push mower for it. The other trailer is good we have an Exmark Turf Tracer 36".

In the past I had a Husqvarna 21" high wheel with a Honda on it and really liked it so might go that route.

We don't use them a lot so 32-36 walk-behind is overkill.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Member

21" toro at Home Depot $299 decent mower back when I worked solo and only pushed mowed I'd buy a new one every year. Then use last years as a back up or for when a friend was helping me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I refuse to push mow, lol, the few with small gates around here have installed a larger gate for me. Our lawns are much bigger on average than your location. In the heat of Summer, push mowing would really bring me down and my help would be frowning every time they had to push.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
I refuse to push mow, lol, the few with small gates around here have installed a larger gate for me. Our lawns are much bigger on average than your location. In the heat of Summer, push mowing would really bring me down and my help would be frowning every time they had to push.
I haven't had any luck getting a bigger gate installed. Like I said I only have 3 regular customers that need the push mower, one is a duplex for a property management company (no interest in bigger gate), one has a 36" gate at the corner and there is no room for a larger gate and the last doesn't have a gate just tight back lawn on each side of the house and seawall with patio so the larger mower is a no go back there. The bank owned properties I could do like some of the hacks and rip out cut down sections of fence but I don't operate like that.

I am thinking I will need to go self propelled.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Their are a few small gates around here, when giving a quote, I let them know I'll need a bigger gate to be installed if they want to hire me. To me its not worth the headaches for so few. I pass on those that I can't get in with my 60" mowers that don't like the bigger gate idea. Plenty of other places I can get in and work.