Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Fair pricing for very large site

Hi! So my company was asked to treat a 384 acre (.6 sq mi) site with fertilizer, weed-killer, and crabgrass control. At this large of a site, how much would you charge per acre? I read $125 per acre for fertilizer, and $55 per acre for weed killer, but I am not sure how to charge for crabgrass control.

Should I give price breaks because of the huge site size, or no because it's a ton of work?

Thanks much.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Both sound low to me, but here's an example:

If one bag of fertilizer costs you $15 and covers 10,000 square feet, it will take you about $70 (your cost) per acre just for the material and then your time to spread it. If you're spraying a 3-way herbicide, it may cost you around $25 per acre for the material and depending on your equipment will take you around 30 minutes to spray an acre for example. You have to determine what your time is worth plus some margin over your cost for the chemicals.

I went back and read your post and it's 384 acres?
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.

Last edited by Nate'sLawnCare; 04-02-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd rent the appropriate equipment or sub out the job. Not sure where your located, but around here unless it's a golf course, that's a job for an ag or right-away applicator. Rent a ag pull behind spreader, $50-100 a day from a local feed store, Have them blend the fert you need and load it in the spreader and tow it to the jobsite. Bulk urea is about $500/ton bulk. $600ish if treated with nutrisphere to increase stability. Same could be done with a 300 gallon sprayer with a 20' boom or boom buster nozzles. They usually have a calibration sheet for mph and rpm on your tractor. Usually 10-20 gal/acre. I'd be shocked if someone would pay residential turf prices for an 300+ acre farm. BTW that is just a partial day of work with the right equipment.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Just out of curiosity, I just called our local feed store. No charge for the 4 ton spreader with purchase of bulk fert. At 150 lb/acre you could do about 53 acres/load. 300 gal tow behind sprayer is 100/day, 500 gal is 125/day.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

If your treating as ag property. I'd probably go with prowl or prowl h20 as your pre. And amine and some type met-sulfuron product for your broadleaf post.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

STAY away. This is a job for aircraft spraying. An Agcat or helicopter. Flying at 60 mph, they do about an acre a minute. But fillups are frequent. And they need several trucks just to refill the aircraft.
And think of the cost. If above is correct, and if the crabgrass control is included with the dry fertilizer, then your cost is $95 per acre just for the materials. Then you have to charge for travel to the site and your hourly charge per hour for vehicle and each piece of equipment. And then charge labor(and labor burden) per hour for each person needed. This property is about the size of 6 golf courses. Add your overhead charge per hour, your risk of collection problems, and your risk of respray due to rain or dissatisfaction.
Remember you must charge enough so that your equipment is paid for in about 3 years or you will not be able to replace it when it wears out. And maintenance of equipment, fuel and insurance--almost as much.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 04-02-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn_s View Post
Hi! So my company was asked to treat a 384 acre (.6 sq mi) site with fertilizer, weed-killer, and crabgrass control. At this large of a site, how much would you charge per acre? I read $125 per acre for fertilizer, and $55 per acre for weed killer, but I am not sure how to charge for crabgrass control.

Should I give price breaks because of the huge site size, or no because it's a ton of work?

Thanks much.
What type of property? Is there one site or multiple sites? Is the 384 acres all turf or a complex with buildings, walkways, parking areas, ect.......... included.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

With the questions u r asking and the way u are asking them u need to stay away

Plus your costs are way to high!

$55 for weed killer????

I am not sure where u r but with ur pricing u may b able to fly me and my team n from Ohio and sub it out and still make a profit
Posted via Mobile Device